Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gitzo CF + Manfrotto head

www.reallybigcameras.com

Re: Gitzo CF + Manfrotto head

Quote Originally Posted by Cristiano Abreu View Post
    Sorry Kerry, I forgot to mention in my former post that the Arca-Swiss B1g runs at 347 GBP + VAT (around 583 Euros or more than 800 USD!) at Robert White, UK. It's a lot more than you said and also in relation to the Manfrotto ones...
    Cristiano,

The B1G is serious overkill for a 4x5 Shen-Hao and a lightweight, compact 300mm lens. The one I recommended and linked to is the Z1 SP with the knob style clamp. It is more than adequate for the equipment you have and are considering buying. And, as Aender pointed out, it's a lot less expensive, even in Europe, than the B1G.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras
    http://www.reallybigcameras.com

@ Kerry First of all, thanks a lot for such lenghty explanation. Lot's of useful info and experience.

For now I'm using a Shen Hao TZ-45IIA (approx. 1.9 kg), as I mentioned on the post previous to yours My heaviest lens is a 90/5.6 Super-Angulon XL, which weights around 700g. I understand your choice for Arca B1, but it's really out of my price tag.
    After spending a while digesting the various posts and consulting again thoroughly Gitzo and Manfrotto sites, I'm almost settled for the 808RC4 (lighter) or the 160 (advertised as the perfect choice for LF, at least 4x5'', but heavier). However, I'm a bit concerned about the lower stiffness of the 160, as reported before.
    If I had to choose this instant I would go the 808RC4 way... am I doing the right thing? any cons with this 3-way pan-tilt.

The geared 410 seems nice but I find 5 kg max. load a tad short, since later on I could purchase a longer heavier lens, like a 300 mm or more. The 405 would seem a better choice, but is expensive and starts to become heavy.
    HI,
    I have 3 of the 410 heads and used them with the following cameras, Arca 6x9, Arca 4x5, RZ67, Mamiya 645, ebony 45s, Walker Titan 4x5. These heads are spring tensioned and get progressively softer with use, they have the same gooseneck issue as the other Bogen head you asked about. I really liked the geared aspect but they just flex too much. They would never handle my 5x7 or 8x10. The 3 way head is rigid and straightforward to adjust whereas when you adjust one axis of a ballhead, you can easily skew another. Many may like the relaxed pace of tinkering with the setup but I want to get set up quickly, depend on the solidity of the equipment and make the exposure. With my Arca and the cube setup I am faster than most people with a 35mm, it drops together and levels at light speed. If I could have had this 3540 tripod and my Cube, I never would have needed to buy the other 25 or so tripods and heads I have stashed in the basement.
    Check the Bogen universal plate setup, it is rigid and allows you to adapt anything to anything else. As I said before, I have the female holder on the tripod and the male plate on each of my tripod heads, I can just snap any setup on the tripod..Hope this helps..Evan

Quote Originally Posted by Aender Brepsom View Post
    Cristiano,

check out this website from a very reputable dealer in Munich/Germany, Isarfoto:

https://www.isarfoto.com/cms.php/_pi...0/Produkt.html

for the Arca Swiss Monoball Z1 sp (single pan) for 278 EUR
    Thanks a lot Aender. Great site with a lot of brands. The prices for Arca-Swiss gear are indeed more inviting, and I know now where to buy B+W and Heliopan filters at better prices.

For the 410 geared head, manfrotto and Gitzo gear in general just give a peak at this Spanish site (sorry just in spanish) FotoBoom. Great prices and the shipping to Portugal is free, which is super. They only accept by wire transfer, I think, but I've order many things from them and they are highly professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Cameras View Post
    Cristiano,

The B1G is serious overkill for a 4x5 Shen-Hao and a lightweight, compact 300mm lens. The one I recommended and linked to is the Z1 SP with the knob style clamp. It is more than adequate for the equipment you have and are considering buying. And, as Aender pointed out, it's a lot less expensive, even in Europe, than the B1G.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras
    http://www.reallybigcameras.com
    Thanks again Kerry. Yea, I thought so that the B1g would be too much. Even more expensive than the legs. So I will think about the Z1sp, instead. What I seem to like about Arca's ball heads (... I've never worked with one or seen it up-close), apart its build quality and Rock Solid support, is that contrary to the G1378M there exists adjustable positions for the tension (a scale with maybe click stops, no?). On the Gitzo we just tighten or loosen the friction knob, with no reference whatsoever, which is time consuming and far from precise to readjust when changing cameras. Not very user-friendly indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    HI,
    I have 3 of the 410 heads and used them with the following cameras, Arca 6x9, Arca 4x5, RZ67, Mamiya 645, ebony 45s, Walker Titan 4x5. These heads are spring tensioned and get progressively softer with use, they have the same gooseneck issue as the other Bogen head you asked about. I really liked the geared aspect but they just flex too much. They would never handle my 5x7 or 8x10. The 3 way head is rigid and straightforward to adjust whereas when you adjust one axis of a ballhead, you can easily skew another. Many may like the relaxed pace of tinkering with the setup but I want to get set up quickly, depend on the solidity of the equipment and make the exposure. With my Arca and the cube setup I am faster than most people with a 35mm, it drops together and levels at light speed. If I could have had this 3540 tripod and my Cube, I never would have needed to buy the other 25 or so tripods and heads I have stashed in the basement.
    Check the Bogen universal plate setup, it is rigid and allows you to adapt anything to anything else. As I said before, I have the female holder on the tripod and the male plate on each of my tripod heads, I can just snap any setup on the tripod..Hope this helps..Evan
    Thanks a lot Evan for the very useful infos based on your experience.
    Three 410s + 25 tripods/heads... that's what I call a "part dealer"
    I'll check also the universal plate you refer. That way I could use the same head for the G2220 (that I will keep for 35mm) and the Gitzo CF, if I want to.
    Crazy, that's why I value so much the infos you guys provide here. I was more inclined for the Manfrotto 160 (or G1570M) at the beginning, then swapped for the 808RC4, the 410 geared and now considering again the 808RC4 or even the Arca's Z1p. I know that each recommendation is somewhat biased by personal preferences or dislikes, but I find such infos very valuable. Thanks again to all.
    I'll ponder on my choices and then let you know what I've decided.

Thanks a lot Evan for the very useful infos based on your experience.
    Three 410s + 25 tripods/heads... that's what I call a "part dealer"
    I'll check also the universal plate you refer. That way I could use the same head for the G2220 (that I will keep for 35mm) and the Gitzo CF, if I want to.
    Crazy, that's why I value so much the infos you guys provide here. I was more inclined for the Manfrotto 160 (or G1570M) at the beginning, then swapped for the 808RC4, the 410 geared and now considering again the 808RC4 or even the Arca's Z1p. I know that each recommendation is somewhat biased by personal preferences or dislikes, but I find such infos very valuable. Thanks again to all.
    I'll ponder on my choices and then let you know what I've decided.
    Hi Cristiano,
    I think that sounds good. There is no reason to have this spectacularly rigid tripod with a weak head. I use the 3 way with my 8x10 and it is dead solid..Good luck..Evan

I recently picked up a Gitzo GT 2941 to go with my Arca-Swiss B1, and it saves several pounds over the Gitzo 320 I've used for years.
    Mike

Hi to all,
    I finally received the tripod and head in the middle of this week. Some problems related to the availability of the GT3540XLS, made the order to be delayed for more than 3 weeks. The waiting was rather long but worth it since the price was great... and what can I say about the tripod, just plain awesome! I didn't had time to test it on the field but a simple quick setup at home made me realize how rock steady this tripod is.
    For the head, I went with the 808RC4. Operations are smooth and it locks efficiently. Now, I have to test this setup on the field and see the results. Meanwhile, I've also fall under the attractions of ebay and acquired a like mint Sinar F2 for some architectural work I pretend to do. A truly superb piece of equipment. Those swiss guys really know how to make things The Gitzo tripod and Manfrotto head came just at the right moment.
    Just a final question, I'm thinking in getting the Tenba car case view camera (CCV45) , to put the sinar. Any final piece of advice regarding this bag. I'm not going to travel by plane with this gear, just the normal shooting nearby the car.
    Thanks again,
    Cristiano

Quote Originally Posted by mdd99 View Post
    I recently picked up a Gitzo GT 2941 to go with my Arca-Swiss B1, and it saves several pounds over the Gitzo 320 I've used for years.
    Hi Mike,
    I see that you must be very pleased with Gitzo's tripods to get another after using one for many years. How are you finding the basalt legs? the reduction in weight is great for sure.
    I see also from your profile that you use a AS F-Line. Superb piece of equipment. I wish I can get one someday Together with the B1 you are really well set.

Have I found the lightest head for large format cameras: the Manfrotto 468MGRC4 hydrostatic ball head? I'm using it on a Velbon 740 Carmagne (CARbon + MAGNEsium) tripod and it holds my 5.5 Kg Tachihara 8x10 + lens + film holder rock steady at any angle. The 468MGRC4 head only weighs about 700 grammes and is rated for a 16Kg load!
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".