Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would this make sense ? (CREO EverSmart Pro)

Re: Would this make sense ? (CREO EverSmart Pro)

The bed moves along one axis, the head moves along the other ... that gives you the x,y axis movements. Additionally, the lens zooms. The reason your resolution is limited on larger sizes of film is that, even with the combined movement and zooming, after a certain point, you become limited by the ccd center sweet spot.

As an addendum there are a couple of older high end flatbeds that stitched in one direction but they were never in the leader class.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    The bed moves along one axis, the head moves along the other ... that gives you the x,y axis movements. Additionally, the lens zooms. The reason your resolution is limited on larger sizes of film is that, even with the combined movement and zooming, after a certain point, you become limited by the ccd center sweet spot.

As an addendum there are a couple of older high end flatbeds that stitched in one direction but they were never in the leader class.
    interesting - by the way the Elite documentation states 5300spi corner to corner producing a 96 gig file

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    interesting - by the way the Elite documentation states 5300spi corner to corner producing a 96 gig file

I looked at the brochure distributed by ScreenUSA for the Cezanne Elite and it does not say anything about stitching with the Cezanne Elite. The brochure says that the shortest path for the CCD array’s XY movement is calculated, which makes batch scanning fast and efficient. It says that you can get 5300 dpi anywhere on the bed, but not that you can get 5300dpi for any size original. It appears to me that this mechanism is fundamentally different from the XY stitching used by EverSmart and IQSmart scanners, which do not rely on zooming but keep the CCD at a fixed distance from the material to be scanned and then mow the lawn in strips about 2" wide, the exact width determined by the resolution of the scanner -- wider for the original EverSmart, narrowest with the curren EverSmart Supreme and Select models.

Not sure how you could get a 96 gig file without interpolation. According to my calculations, a 16 bit file in RGB at 5300 dpi for the size of the Elite's table of 13" X 20.9" should produce a scan of 43 gig.

Sandy King

Sandy, and, of course, if you interpolate to 10K you have 96 or thereabouts.

The mechanisms of the two machines, as you so rightly describe, is different. The Cezanne and Cezane Elite maintain 5300 spi anywhere on the bed by moving both the bed and the lens as I noted above.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I looked at the brochure distributed by ScreenUSA for the Cezanne Elite and it does not say anything about stitching with the Cezanne Elite. The brochure says that the shortest path for the CCD array’s XY movement is calculated, which makes batch scanning fast and efficient. It says that you can get 5300 dpi anywhere on the bed, but not that you can get 5300dpi for any size original. It appears to me that this mechanism is fundamentally different from the XY stitching used by EverSmart and IQSmart scanners, which do not rely on zooming but keep the CCD at a fixed distance from the material to be scanned and then mow the lawn in strips about 2" wide, the exact width determined by the resolution of the scanner -- wider for the original EverSmart, narrowest with the curren EverSmart Supreme and Select models.

Not sure how you could get a 96 gig file without interpolation. According to my calculations, a 16 bit file in RGB at 5300 dpi for the size of the Elite's table of 13" X 20.9" should produce a scan of 43 gig.

Sandy King
    I reread the specification and I originally misinterpreted it. I didn't make up the 96G bit I read it on some Cezanne literature somewhere. Likely marketing numbers or something.

Joe

jetcode

Actually the 43G scan is the number of 16 bit samples not the number of bytes. The file size for a 43G 16 bit file is 86G. I suspect 96G comes for 48G 16 bit samples.

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    Actually the 43G scan is the number of 16 bit samples not the number of bytes. The file size for a 43G 16 bit file is 86G. I suspect 96G comes for 48G 16 bit samples.

How do you figure that? If you let Photoshop calculate the size of a 13" X 20.9" file in RGB at 16 bits it will return a file size in pixels of 42 gig.

Am I figuring this incorrectly?

Sandy

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    How do you figure that? If you let Photoshop calculate the size of a 13" X 20.9" file in RGB at 16 bits it will return a file size in pixels of 42 gig.

Am I figuring this incorrectly?

Sandy
    ok - not to worry my math is screwy - joe