Thread: photoshop cs3 book

photoshop cs3 book

I am looking for a VERY easy to understand book on Photoshop CS3, it is for someone who has not done digital printing.
    I looked at Martin Evenings book, found it difficult to understand, I need a book which assumes the reader dose not know anything about digital printing.
    Terry.

Re: photoshop cs3 book

I too didn't care for the Evening book when I bought it back around Photoshop 6. The book "The Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby would probably be pretty good for you because he takes a "step by step" approach (i.e. he doesn't say things like "create a mask in an adjustment layer," he takes you through the procedure step by step and eventually you end up with a mask). Don't let "for digital photographers" in the title put you off. About 95% of the book is just pure Photoshop and applies regardless of what kind of camera you use.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

"The Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby is a good book, also take a look at these two, "Skin" by Lee Varis (Chapter 8) and "The Photoshop WOW! Book" by Linnea Dayton & Cristen Gillespie.

I have Evenings book and I agree with you. It is useful, just not easy to use.

The one I have found to be most comprehensive, well written, simple to understand, most useful for photographers, Is Photoshop Artistry (for photographers using PS CS2 and beyond) by Barry Haynes, Wendy Crumpler and Sean Duggan.

I have read and or own all of the major PS books and this is by far the best. Many I have read are targeted mainly at beginners, intermediates or experts. This one covers the basics but also what one needs to deal with difficult images to generate truly fine prints, and everything in between.

"The Creative Digital Darkroom" by Katrin Eismann & Sean Duggan is probably the best book for beginning Photoshoppers wanting the orthodox view of how to use the software. It assumes a cursory knowledge of Photoshop (how to get around etc) but not much else. Unlike other books it's targeted at achieving results rather than a journey through Photoshop features. The step by step examples should be sufficient for those just starting out. It's up to date for CS3.

Thanks to every one for the useful suggestions.
    Terry.