Thread: Paterson system 4 tank for 4x5 processing

Paterson system 4 tank for 4x5 processing

I just bought this tank for 35/120 processing and it's great. Today I tried putt ing 2 sheet of 4x5 inside and they fit quite well. I put 500ml of water inside a nd roll it for a couple minutes, the negs didn't move. You may give it a try to test my discovery.

If you try this for processing, make sure you use the center rod. It's part of the light trap.

Aaron - are you putting the sheets up against the outer tank wall? Emulsion side in? Sounds like a poor man's application of the Jobo expert drum. Will be interested to see how your actual developed negs come out.

Thanks for contributing an interesting idea.

Hi guys I tried a couple BWs and got the most beautiful negs I've ever seen! I'm going to scan them and report back soon.

Aaron

OK the images can be seen at: www.geocities.com/h_xd/paterson1.html www.geocities.com/h_xd/paterson2.html The dark corners result from too much shift, out of coverage, not processing problem. I also bought a uniroller base, doesn't work quite well together, need some help once awhile to keep the rotation.

Oops, correct url should be: www.geocities.com/h_xd/html/paterson1.html & ..paterson2.html

Aaron, I have used the tank for processing Velvia 5x4 E6 in Tetenal chemistry for a little over a year now, with excellent results. I have found that placing more than one sheet in the tank is dicing with danger unless you make a separator to stop one sheet from sliding over the other. To make the separator, I cut the aluminium from two drink cans and formed them into a cylinder, with the overlap stapled to form septa within the cylinder. Place one sheet in each compartment.

To use the tank for E6, just get a water bath of the right temperature and manually rotate the tank while it floats for the desired times. Works for me anyway. (Definitely a poor man's Jobo!)

Aaron, thank you very much for the suggestion. I tried it myself today (one sheet of TMX 100 in Rodinal 1+50), and it came out perfect!