Thread: ADMIN: HTML tips

ADMIN: HTML tips

Remember that when you post a message, by default the line breaks and spaces are not preserved.

If you want to have them preserved (in particular when posting tabular data) you need to enter a few HTML tags: enclose the section which you don't want reformated between the tags [pre] and [/pre] If you do so, please don't forget the last tag, otherwise the following messages will be messed up.

To create a new paragraph, just use the tag

Another point is that due a software problem, the last line of your message might end up truncated. I don't have a simple solution for that. I recommend you just end your message by a blank line.

Since I've created a non-LF thread, I'd also like to point out that I go by "Tuan", and not "Q". My full first name is Quang-Tuan, but I've spelled it Q.-Tuan to prevent people from calling me "Quang" :-)

DANG!!!!!!!! I THOUGHT IT WAS QUANG. ANYWAY, MANY MANY MANY THANKS FOR ALL THE HARD WORK YOU PUT FORTH!!!!!!!! BEST HOLIDAY WISHES FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND THE ENTIRE 'LF' FAMILY THAT WE HAVE REACHING AROUND THE GLOBE! MILES DALLAS TEXAS

Hey Miles,

There's a little key on the left side of your keyboard marked "CAPS LOCK." Get to know it. Otherwise, people will think you're yelling. Happy Holidays!

I want to add my best wishes and thanks also for your hard work, keep it up. Merry Christmas! Pat

Tuan: as you are discussing procedures, what can be done so that the hyperlinks appear as such in the posting? Can straight HTML code be used in the postings, -as for example by editing the posting in the Front Page editor and copying and pasting into the response section? Best widhes for the season and thanks for your good work.

Indeed, all the HTML tags can be used in the postings, including hyperlinks. I don't encourage using too much HTML, since: it is easy to make a mistake, there is no preview function on the Lusenet software, and the moderators are the only people who can edit the postings. Also, I noticed that pasting stuff generated by Microsoft software sometimes causes weird problem.

I would like to add my own thanks, both to you for all your hard and unselfish work and to the people who contribute. I discovered this forum by accident, about 18 months ago, and although I don't always agree with some of the opinions expressed, I am constantly amazed by the high level of both knowledge and willingness to help that many people have. Any fool knows which way to point a 35mm, but without this forum it would be very difficult to get answers to many of the problems that we LF people have.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

HTML is just some mnemonic letters in brackets, called tags. The modified text is surrounded by a starting tag and an ending tag.

Italics: This would be in italics. Bold: This would be in bold. Underline: This would be underlined. Note the mnemonics: I for Italics, B for Bold, U for Underline.

URL "anchor": The blah blah blah site This produces the link to a site. The text between the tags is blue and underlined. The full URL goes between the quote marks. If you forget the leading http:// then the servers think it's on the current site.

Paragraphs are seperated by

tag. You can make line breaks by inserting the tag at the end of a line.

"It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans