Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Only lf stuff allowed in classifieds now ?

Re: Only lf stuff allowed in classifieds now ?

A good number of LF shooters use MF for travel. Others find their LF kit too heavy for hiking but can still carry an MF outfit; some of us are getting on in age and like to switch or try out MF rather than using their more cumbersome heavy LF etc etc. It's also the other way around - DSLR for the job, LF for the love of it.

I don't think you can look at/live with LF in isolation,that's just unrealistic. This can and should be reflected in the classified ads section of the LF forum. It's a challenge for the moderators but with some creativity a solution can be found, I would hope.

The LF Forum does not live in isolation from the rest of the internet. People who want to discuss or advertise non-LF equipment are free to find appropriate resources elsewhere on the 'net. I don't think there's any lack of these places.

Members of any level are not free to open discussions about non-LF equipment and I feel the same rules should apply in the FS area. It simplifies moderation tasks and unless we get more moderation help its unfair to ask the mod's to police the area based on vague criteria like "established" or "reputable" membership status.

But, if you can define such criteria, we should just block access to the FS area to anyone who doesn't meet them. If it makes people nervous to have ads posted from new members for non-LF equipment, I'd guess the same nervousness applies to any ads from the same new members.

Here's an idea and it involves honour on the part of the seller, something I don't think would be a problem here.

If one posts and then completes a sale of equipment other than LF, a token % (2,3,4 ?) is donated to the site ? Not sure what mechanisms would be needed but this could work, no ?

I can live with LF only ads but would really miss seeing MF posts in the classifieds as that's what I use when I'm not under the darkcloth.

Thanks for listening.

ps-for some reason, I don't seem to be able to edit previous posts
    Last edited by Fred L; 2-Mar-2008 at 06:43. Reason: forgot to mention...
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Westbrook View Post
    If it makes people nervous to have ads posted from new members for non-LF equipment, I'd guess the same nervousness applies to any ads from the same new members.
    Not necessarily. LF equipment is more esoteric than, say, DSLRs or 35mm equipment, and requires a certain degree of specialized knowledge to advertise it convincingly. Even if someone just cuts and pastes a legitimate LF ad in an effort to commit fraud, there's a fair chance that someone on the forum will have seen the cut and pasted ad, and the seller will likely have to answer some questions about the item and demonstrate their legitimacy. It's much easier to commit fraud when the item for sale is a popular new DSLR with a broad and less knowledgeable market.

If you want to automate it, how about 3 months and 15 posts before being allowed to post in classifieds.

One of the problems I have is the definition of "large format". I primarily use a 23 Linhof Technikardan and a 23 Linhof Technika, with 6x9 rollfilm backs. I also use a a 4x5 Chamonix, but with a Horseman 612 back. These are all view cameras, but by strict definition none of these are used as large format cameras. However, many of the lenses, accessories, and techniques employed are common to both the smaller and larger formats, which is one of the reasons I view this forum as a valuable resource.

Members of any level are not free to open discussions about non-LF equipment and I feel the same rules should apply in the FS area. It simplifies moderation tasks and unless we get more moderation help its unfair to ask the mod's to police the area based on vague criteria like "established" or "reputable" membership status.
    Yes, but members of any level are free to open discussions in The Lounge, for example. Whether the goal is to enforce the mission statement without compromise (some would qualify it as being rigid) or it is simply to lighten the load on the moderators, doing it in one area of the site and not the other appears inconsistent and selective in nature, the very opposite of either of those two stated intents.

David G: Both points duly noted.

David M: My personal definition of what is LF is pretty liberal, so anything with lens movements, even if it used smaller format film, would be fine. Any gray area item would be discussed among the mod's and open to appeal. Nothing that was removed recently fell into a gray area, though.

Marko, The Lounge is by policy not moderated, so the moderation rules don't apply there. It definitely lightens the load on the mods to pretty much ignore that area. I personally never look at it, except if we get a complaint.

Tom, I understand your points, just like I understand that is the owner of the board sets the policies, the moderators enforce them and the rest of us have a choice of participating or not.

My point is this: if the non-moderated Lounge, the way it is, presents no harm to this board, I really see no reason why For Sale area should. I very rarely buy or sell something there anyway, all I'm saying is that a little principle and common sense can go a long way. The same as the lack of it, in fact, just in the opposite direction...

Marko, The Lounge is by policy not moderated, so the moderation rules don't apply there. It definitely lightens the load on the mods to pretty much ignore that area. I personally never look at it, except if we get a complaint.
    Oh man...

I see "FS-non-LF" ads in the lounge in the near future. If a system doesn't work for people, the natural tendency is to work around it.

Sell the medium format and smaller stuff in one category, and the strictly LF gear (if it can be defined) in another.

I guess the grey area in the definition partly explains why I use more than just large format gear for making pictures!

Cheers, Rob

I know the classifieds section is a relatively new feature on the board, but it's easy to underestimate how much traffic and activity it brings to the forum. I don't see any benefit to restricting listings by post status or membership length because this is the natural place for people to sell large format gear and many people aren't currently active in LF and that's precisely why they're selling. As always, caveat emptor--particularly with members with short or absent forum histories.

It's nice to be able to browse the classifieds for LF gear without having to wade through a mass of irrelevant ads, but like others here, I have wider photographic interests and like the idea of buying and selling within this community. Maybe we could have a separate classified forum for "other" photographic gear of interest to members. That way, those not interested could ignore (or exclude) the forum, but the rest of us would still benefit from trading gear within the community.