Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Only lf stuff allowed in classifieds now ?

Only lf stuff allowed in classifieds now ?

Hey all,

Wasn't sure where to post this but figured this would be better than classifieds. Mods, move this to the appropriate forum if need be.

Just noticed that items other than large format related are not allowed there anymore. Is this a new rule or just an old rule that's being enforced ? Don't have anything to sell but just curious as I've had some great buys that weren't lf posted there.

Fred
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Bob

Re: Only lf stuff allowed in classifieds now ?

I noticed that too today. The rules don't say large format only, maybe a new thing?

For Sale/Wanted - open to all registered members for the sale or acquisition of their own personal photographic equipment. This is an at-your-own-risk section, and the forum, its owners and moderators make(s) no endorsements of sellers or specific products. This is not for dealers or commercial vendors. And, no pointers to eBay or other auction listings, nor listings of items that are already up for auction. Mis-use of the section may result in disceplinary action at the sole discretion of the moderators.

This what is says right under the forum heading:

"Use of this area is strictly at your own risk. This is a private area where LF Forum members may post for sale & wanted-to-buy ads for large format items. No references to active external ads or auctions, please. Please prefix posts to indicate intent: "WTB", "FS" , "FT" (for trade), etc. No dealers, please."

Dave

That's new text. Anyway, I think it's completely pedantic to lock postings of items which are clearly of a lot of interest to LF members (like a Mamiya 7 outfit), when magazine editors use every opportunity for commercial promotion. There are strict guidelines about announcing events - like a single posting, but these threads get extended into long term marketing plans.

Hell, there's even a moderator who keeps on dropping hints about his scanning services... It's just head up ass stuff...

That's what I was curious about. The header says large format but I never paid much attention to it before so I don't know if it was always there or just added. I don't think there's any harm in posting say, mf gear unless it's a bandwidth thing.

I'd just as soon have that option as well as all the mentions for some magazines which may or may not have anything to do with lf (just in general and not directed at anyone specifically).
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

From what I've seen on other posts here, the vast majority of us use medium format as well as large format. I have a Mamiya TLR, a Mamiya 7 and a (retired) Kowa 66. Many of us are collectors as well as users and for one, I like perusing the FS section and would miss the vintage photographica and MF stuff.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hutton View Post
    Dave

That's new text. Anyway, I think it's completely pedantic to lock postings of items which are clearly of a lot of interest to LF members (like a Mamiya 7 outfit), when magazine editors use every opportunity for commercial promotion. There are strict guidelines about announcing events - like a single posting, but these threads get extended into long term marketing plans.

Hell, there's even a moderator who keeps on dropping hints about his scanning services... It's just head up ass stuff...
    Don,

I was not condoning or condemning, I had just noticed the text had been changed...I was always under the impression(perhaps incorrectly) that if you were a member in good standing that it was ok to post non-LF gear at times.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    I was always under the impression(perhaps incorrectly) that if you were a member in good standing...
    Who knows! I think the rules have either changed or are being made up as we go along....

Anyway, I simply don't get it - in the past couple of weeks, there has been all sorts of Canon digital gear posted, along with loads of other non-LF items. None of those posts have been "locked" or deleted. And if the posting is so contrary to the rules, surely it should be deleted, not locked?

I wrote to Tom Westbrook, and he said that he would talk to the other moderators. I don*t see why an occasional non-LF item should not be listed. All of us have different kinds of gear, and to be able to trade stuff on the forum is better than the bay!

Cheers,
    Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hutton View Post
    That's new text. . . ...
    I don't know what you consider new but I inquired about it a couple years ago so it's been there at least that long. It may have come in back when the forum changed and started allowing FS ads for the first time, which must have been four or five years ago now.

AFAIK the policy has always been to ignore the language that seemingly allows ads only for LF gear and instead to allow FS ads for anything photographic. A couple years ago I suggested to one of the moderators that either the language be changed to conform to the policy or the policy be changed to conform to the language but that suggestion fell on deaf ears and the language has remained, as have the many ads for non-LF gear (which is fine with me, I don't really care one way or another, it just seems to me that the policy should conform to the rule, whatever it may be, and vice versa).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.