Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Where do you buy your 32X40 mat board?

Re: Where do you buy your 32X40 mat board?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard View Post
    Hey Jim, you have not stepped on my toes, but I do have have lots of of framed prints in my house. Several of them are close to ten years old, and the white core has not yellowed. Please note, I live in Colorado and the climate here is very dry. Whether a dry climate keeps them from yellowing or not is unclear to me. However, there is now a lot of atmospheric pollution in the area from the 80,000 fracking wells just east my town. It will be interesting to see what impact they will have on my framed prints. More importantly, I have never had any of my customers return any of my framed prints for any reason, and 99% of everything I sell is bought framed.
    Stephen,

I hope your matting stays fine. And you are right in that humidity can play a big part in degradation, as is the case here in Wisconsin. With nearly 20 years in the framing business, I did see problems stemming from non archival mats. However, like most things, there is no hard and fast rule why some mats look fine while others degrade. Jim

Drew Wiley

Stephen is dealing with color chromogenic prints, not fiber-based ones. There is a bit of risk of yellowing right where the bevel of the mat contacts the image, but
    this might not happen within the life of the print under dry conditions. If conditions are humid, mildew is a much bigger danger. I personally use whitecore Alphamat for color prints, but it's around ten bucks a sheet even wholesale. What is more important in this case is the nature of the mounting substrate; but even here, the nature of the adhesive foil tends to form a significant barrier. My credo regarding all such things is to test, test, test.

Whenever we visit a sister in law I am amazed that colored prints and drawing I matted still hang after forty years. Of course the cut edge on many is yellow to brown now, but it has not bleed into the print. Mat is in colors, mostly gray. Now that I am learning digital printing, testing begins anew. Moisture as noted is the worst issue, much of even my archival stuff has small brown spots from too many years in the basement and not being sufficiently sealed. For digital I've already ruled out optical brighteners, just too unpredictable.

http://www.lumierephoto.com/Knowledg...-mat-board.php

http://56x56.com/for-photographers/b...igment-prints/

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Stephen is dealing with color chromogenic prints, not fiber-based ones. There is a bit of risk of yellowing right where the bevel of the mat contacts the image, but
    this might not happen within the life of the print under dry conditions. If conditions are humid, mildew is a much bigger danger. I personally use whitecore Alphamat for color prints, but it's around ten bucks a sheet even wholesale. What is more important in this case is the nature of the mounting substrate; but even here, the nature of the adhesive foil tends to form a significant barrier. My credo regarding all such things is to test, test, test.
    I agree with you that testing is important, Drew. All of the mat boards I have noted are buffed PH neutral, and I have used them for years. Many of my extended family has had my prints on their walls for years also. Vermont, Flordia, New York, and Virginia are just a few. When I have visited them I have inspect the prints and everything seems fine. I have not noticed any yellowing or bleeding of the mat board or any color shifts in the print. Perhaps Fuji Crystal Archive papers are more durable than we may think.

In any case, my point is that I have been selling my prints with this mat board and photographic paper for a long time now, and that this constitutes a rather large body of testing with excellent results.

The company that sells this mat board makes this mat board. There is no middle guy overhead. Hence, the inexpensive prices. In general, I do believe that price is a reflection of quality, but I have complete confidence in their white core line despite it is only $3.45 per sheet. I only use the cream core for my larger prints because they do not offer 40x60 mat board in white core.

Try it. You may be very surprised at the quality of this stuff.

Drew Wiley

The nature of the media has a lot to do with it. My aunt gave away a lot of her watercolors to various extended family members, many of whom lived in the humid
    NW, and it's a pity to see how they got framed over cardboard and with ordinary matboard (often attached with masking tape - a common custom once, even in
    professional frame shops) - and seeing all those papers now yellowed and almost crumbling to the touch. Since her painting are almost nonexistent on the resale or
    auction market, and might realistically sell for tens of thousands of dollars apiece, it's a shame to see them degraded to the point of being literally worthless. I took
    very good care of my own collection, but it all got stolen - if it hadn't, I could have paid off my house about twenty years sooner! I figured out the train of possession, but the last known fence of the work was turned into swiss cheese by a swat team, and never talked again, so I'll never realistically recover those paintings. Watercolor paper is highly absorbent and very fussy about framing conditions, just like these rag papers that people make platinum prints on.