Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Where do you buy your 32X40 mat board?

Re: Where do you buy your 32X40 mat board?

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Great deal! I wish I'd known about this 2 months ago. The best deal I could find (for alpharag arctare) was $14 something and $50+ shipping. I had them hand pick my order but still have been cutting around all the defects. Bainbridge quality has gone to hell.

Does this cresent stuff have the same finish on both sides?
    I've used some rag board that had a logo embossed on the back and others that had a front/back texture difference.
    Finish is about the same on both sides--but double check to be sure. All the rag variations get confusing. HOWEVER, there are often marking on the back. Not only embossing but manufacturer codes, etc.

There is always some degree of edge damage or not quite really true 100& straight sides or right angle corners--always best to make your own cut. In my experience with Dick Blick they have been very good about real damage--smashed corners of boxes, etc. But please don't hound them over minor stuff--they may change their policy!

--Darin

John Olsen

Portland folks might want to try Daniel Smith in Seattle. I get my orders within a day or two and I'm almost the same travel time from Seattle, out here on a friggin' island.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Placed an order for 4 and 8 ply Rising. If the shipping containers are similar to Archival Methods then I won't have to worry about corner damage.

Thomas

I buy my mat board by the case of 25 sheets (minimum order) from http://www.bdmatboard.com. Prices for 4-ply are as follows:

32x40 cream core $2.95 per sheet - acid free
    32x40 white core $3.45 per sheet - acid free and lignin free
    40x60 cream core $6.50 per sheet - acid free

I have been buying their mat board for years now and probably framed well over 300 prints without any problems or returns. I have sold world wide and know my prints have found homes in places where there can be lots of humidity and pollution. In fact, I had a customer just email me to tell me that his house was flooded the past summer, but the five framed prints of mine he had on his wall survived the flood in perfect condition. I attribute that in large part to the mat board not warping under extremely high humid conditions.

Hope this helps...

Where do you buy your 32X40 mat board?

But of course from Glenwood Mouldings in Newtownmountkennedy, Co Wicklow, or from The Photo Shop, Co. Meath, Peter provides good service. Naturally, you could also order directly from Arquadia or LionPic.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, great choice of a mat cutter, Ben, I like my F-2200, very much. Take time to square the squaring arm, though.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

I don't mean to step on any toes but the mat boards mentioned by Stephen are not archival in any sense. Both the cream core and white core mats will discolor over time, both in their cover sheet material and their bevel cut. I had a framing business for many years and know for a fact these mat boards are not archival. I can assure you the bevel cuts will turn yellow in a matter of years. If you want to stay archival, stick with Artcare by Bainbridge, Rag Mat by Crescent, or the offerings by Rising and there are a few others that slip my mind. These mats are will stand the test of time.

What Jim said. You don't get archival boards for $3/sheet

Drew Wiley

I buy all my board wholesale, in full 25 sheet packs. I can't imagine paying double in an art store for dog-eared, fingerprinted board, even if they carried what I want,
    which they don't. I prefer Rising.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    I don't mean to step on any toes but the mat boards mentioned by Stephen are not archival in any sense. Both the cream core and white core mats will discolor over time, both in their cover sheet material and their bevel cut. I had a framing business for many years and know for a fact these mat boards are not archival. I can assure you the bevel cuts will turn yellow in a matter of years. If you want to stay archival, stick with Artcare by Bainbridge, Rag Mat by Crescent, or the offerings by Rising and there are a few others that slip my mind. These mats are will stand the test of time.
    Hey Jim, you have not stepped on my toes, but I do have have lots of of framed prints in my house. Several of them are close to ten years old, and the white core has not yellowed. Please note, I live in Colorado and the climate here is very dry. Whether a dry climate keeps them from yellowing or not is unclear to me. However, there is now a lot of atmospheric pollution in the area from the 80,000 fracking wells just east my town. It will be interesting to see what impact they will have on my framed prints. More importantly, I have never had any of my customers return any of my framed prints for any reason, and 99% of everything I sell is bought framed.

I would also like to note that I hand developed an 8x10 chromogenic print from one of the first home kits every offered close to 40 years ago. It hangs on my wall framed in the cheapest acidic materials one could ever imagine including a dust cover on the back recycled from a grocery bag that has completely yellowed. I made it when I was a kid and living in Vermont which has lots of humidity. Chromogenic prints at that time were supposed to be incredible unstable. Yet it is still in perfect condition.

Go figure. Perhaps all of this archival science is nothing more than a scheme to extract additional revenue form the public at large.