Thread: Contacts 8x10

Talking Contacts 8x10

I am starting to shoot 8x10.I have not been in a darkroom for about 15yrs.since digital.
    I want to make contact prints.I did make some, (8x10) years ago on some Zone VI enlarging paper.Developed in Zone VI developer.I toned them in selenium and liked the results.
    What should I be looking for now for optimum results for contacts.I am shooting 3/4 people for detail on white bg.

Re: Contacts 8x10

Check out the Azo forum at Michaelandpaula.com they are developing a new silver chloride paper (like Azo). With any luck, the paper will be ready in 2008...they have been working it since 2005 or perhaps earlier.

I currently use Azo, but you can use almost any paper for contact printing. The beauty of Azo and other silver chloride papers (all currently discontinued) is the long tonal range.

Again check out the Azo forum. It is a wealth of information.

Have fun and welcome to large format contact printing.

PS....APUG also has a contact printing forum.

Re: Contacts 8x10

Since "optimum results" is a matter of personal taste, the best we can do with just that to go on is to mention our own personal favorites. I also contact print from 8x10 negatives and for most images, including portraits, I like Ilford Warmtone Variable Contrast paper, developed in Dektol 1:3 for three minutes and lightly selenium toned. It's just a touch warm of neutral without an overly brightened paper base. As previously mentioned, Kodak's old Azo contact printing paper was wonderful stuff, but they haven't made it in years, there are no available stocks, and no replacements as of yet.

For a cooler tone, I prefer Kentmere FinePrint Variable Contrast ("VC") developed in Dektol 1:2. Again, the paper base isn't overly brightened while after light selenium toning the emulsion is firmly neutral. You may have noticed that I'm not a fan of cold-tone papers. Others will, of course, have different opinions. My choices are optimum for me, theirs for them. Good luck and welcome back!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.