Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: North Arizona, Southern Utah in April

Re: North Arizona, Southern Utah in April

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Trabitz View Post
    When you arrive in Sedona go to the local book store and check out the book on hikes around Sedona. Also check with the Ranger station in town for maps of hiking trails.
    Stop in at the chamber of commerce in old Sedona. They have all kinds of info and maps to look at. I'd also head up to the south rim if never there, but book a room now for an overnight. Also check online at the official Sedona website. Also, the airport overlook is happening at sundown. One thing to be aware of tho is that Sedona went nuts a few years back and require visitor passes to park in many locations or else you get a ticket. Make sure to check about this before you pull off on the side of the road. They got vicious with their make money bs.

" Would you stay on I40 to Pertrified Forest and then turn North at Flagstaff to head to South Rim or Head up through Santa Fe toward the 4corners area? Now I do plan on making the loop South Rim, Page, just not sure which to hit first. Arches and work my way down, just trying not to backtrack too much. Thank you in advance!
    PBrooks"

To your original question.... I would recommend that you follow 40 west taking whatever side trips you want, north to the south rim, then out the east side to Page, Monument Valley, etc, North to Arches, Dead Horse, etc. and then back to Durango, Mesa Verde area and finally out to the return trip. This will provide the most variety with the least amount of backtracking. Also, it gets you to your most distant points early in the trip and thus provides greater flexibility in planning. The best advice is don't get too distracted with other areas. You will be driving a great deal. Take the time to rest and "see" the areas you are planning to visit. They are all nice. Everyone has their favorites. Great pictures are everywhere.
    Ric

Jim Ewins

Yes 3 weeks is a short scouting trip.

I've taken a few trips into sourthern Utah/N Arizona and you simly can't go wrong in that area. Truly some of the most beautiful scenery in the country in my opinion. Once you go the desert calls you back time and time again. I spent 3 weeks camping the first time, 2 weeks camping the second time, and still wish for more time to spend in that area. I got some maps and just wandered around the various national parks, state parks, recreation areas, back roads, whatever I came across that looked interesting to explore. You can spend weeks on end just wandering through back country roads and public land. Dixie National Forest offers some great hiking/photo opps as well...

Have a great time, you really can't go wrong!!

Landscape/Still Life

If your going to be in Page,Az I highly recommend Bashful Bob's Motel... Real good prices and almost like renting an apt for something like $33 a night....

here is the website: http://www.bashfulbobsmotel.com/

No I do not get a commision from Bob but he is a nice man... Hope you have fun "Do Not Forget The Coolers" for film... Also Texas is always windy thru Texas canyon areas off of I-10 going West or East all the time...

I'm a proud Arizonan, and would offer a variant suggestion. If I were doing this trip with the time you have, I'd get off I-40 at Holbrook AZ after doing the Petrified Forest. I'd take AZ 77 to Showlow AZ, and go along the Mogollon Rim on AZ260. These are all good, paved 55-65mph roads and will be open in April. They take you through one of the prettiest and least-publicized parts of our state, crossing high grassland and conifer forests (lots of Elk - drive carefully!), then into the red rocks around Sedona. I'd take AZ 260 to Camp Verde, AZ, then go north from there to Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. From there I'd head north to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon, as Richard advised in #22.

Being partial to AZ, I'd nix the idea to go to Big Bend. I finally got there for a couple of days about a year ago. My honest impression was that they made a National Park out of the parts of Texas that most resemble the mundane parts of Arizona.

Thank You to everyone that posted. Will post more later still developing film. I will say this though, I had no idea what wind was, now I do. This being said the 1417 Chamonix held extremely steady. I much preferred the jeep trails and back country, esspecially above Page and then in the Hite area. I'm planning another trip as you read this also, much bigger this time.
    Thanks again
    PBrooks