Thread: Rochester Universal 5X8

Rochester Universal 5X8

Some years back my wife, in partial payment for labour, was paid with a couple of large format cameras. One of them is a Rochester 5X8 Universal Camera. Found some info on it on that web page that provides info on lots of different American made field cameras. I have also read lately of the increase interest in 5X8.
    One of my questions is were the film holders standardized for that size, by that I mean if I was to purchase a holder would it fit. Seems I read here or on APUG that was not the case for whole plate. I do know that a 5X7 holder fits. Are the 5X8 even more unreasonalby priced that the 5X7..I recently sold a brand new pair of 5X7 for a whole lot more than I expected but that was just converted to other photo equipment.
    Does anyone use this particular model. The lensboards are very small compared to any other ones I have seen and not sure how big of a lens I would be able to mount on it. Currently the camera is a display item. I need to repair a couple of pinholes in the bellows. It does have a lens, a brass one from the 19th century missing its stops and will post about it when I get home.
    At least with a film holder I could test out the format shooting some paper negs with pinholes but in the long run not sure if it would be worth while purchasing holders for it if I don't use it. Anyways as there has been posts on 5X8 I thought I would see if these old ones are currently used. My 5X7 is a Seneca Improved and does seem to be much more advanced in design but also larger and heavier with more bellow extension,even without the extension rail. I will most likely sell one of these as perfer the 4X5 aspect and also the square format.

Re: Rochester Universal 5X8

To the best of my memory only Chamonix is selling 5x8 film holders. You could check how much on Ebay. But I'd be surprised if they aren't more then Shen's 5x7 holders.

Re: Rochester Universal 5X8

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    To the best of my memory only Chamonix is selling 5x8 film holders. You could check how much on Ebay. But I'd be surprised if they aren't more then Shen's 5x7 holders.
    $140 each and 6 months to make...I'd love to shoot 5X8 over 5X7, but cannot justify $140 for a holder even if it is a good or bad deal.