Thread: Screen DTS 1030

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Screen DTS 1030

Dear friends,

I just acquired the Screen DTS 1030 with their original software version 3.4 with the Mac Quadra 9500 but no monitor with it because the owner need it and decided to keep it. I'm not a real computer savvy and hope you can help.

1. How and where can I get the monitor ( SCSI ) or can I upgrade the system with others later Mac or PC ?
    2 . How does the Mac Quadra 9500 support the DTS 1030 if I scan at 2500-4000 dpi on the 8x10 negative file ( let's say 2GB-4 GB file) with 512MB in the hard drive originally back in time?

Thanks for your helps.

Re: Screen DTS 1030

Tri,

1) You should talk with Kristen at Screen and find out if there are any limitations to using the scanner with more modern machines. AFAIK, there aren't as long as the necessary operating system will run on the macine you use. IIRC the Quadra 950 will run up to OS 9.x

2) Given the RAM limitations of the machine again I recall 256MB, your scans will run slowly. I'm not sure how you will hand the storage issue with the Quadra as the largest hard drive I remember for it was 1GB. Again, a newer machine may be your bet option.

I have the 1030 also. Do a search and you'll find several posts i've made regarding the machine. Getting a scsi monitor should be easy. Check craigslist for computers or your local goodwill. Is the monitor scsi or vga? Vga is still widely used. I have a new widescreen flat panel hooked up to mine. Good luck, its a great machine but 2-4gb scans may/will take you a couple hours to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I have the 1030 also. Do a search and you'll find several posts i've made regarding the machine. Getting a scsi monitor should be easy. Check craigslist for computers or your local goodwill. Is the monitor scsi or vga? Vga is still widely used. I have a new widescreen flat panel hooked up to mine. Good luck, its a great machine but 2-4gb scans may/will take you a couple hours to complete.
    Vinny,
    What software version do you have with the machine. My is 3.4 . Do you think it will work with the G3? Thanks .

Ted,
    I did emailed Kristin but no reply yet but will try to give her a call tomorrow .Thanks for the info.

The 1030AI will work with a Beige G3. I do not think it works with the later G3 that has the "handles" on the corners. The late G3 removed the builtin SCSI port, and it seems that these scanners do not want to work with an installed SCSI card.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chmilar View Post
    The 1030AI will work with a Beige G3. I do not think it works with the later G3 that has the "handles" on the corners. The late G3 removed the builtin SCSI port, and it seems that these scanners do not want to work with an installed SCSI card.
    Thanks Micheal. Good to know so I start to look for another early G3.
    Any ideas how do I tranfer file more than 1 Gb over to PC for editing ? Thanks.

I just copy the files across the network. My G3 has a 100Mbps ethernet card, so it takes a few minutes to copy a file. If you are stuck with the slow 10Mbps network port then it will take tens of minutes to copy over a large file.

If you "share" a folder from Windows, the "network browser" on the G3 can find it. Then you can just drop files onto the shared folder.

Hi to everyone,
    and thanks for this post.

I've a G3 Blue&White powered by a SCSI adapter Adaptec 2904 (extension v1.3) and the DTS Scan software v3.4.1 with the DTS 1030AI.
    I tried every trick to get it working properly on this system but anytimes I launch a preview/scan the system stop it selfs and I have to reboot the machine.

Does anyone know of to fix this issue?

Thanks,