Thread: Is this a Sinar F2 or F(1)?

Japan Exposures

Is this a Sinar F2 or F(1)?

Hi, can someone identify this camera? Any opinions on aspects of its usability? What is a good price for it?

Thanks

Dirk

Re: Is this a Sinar F2 or F(1)?

Micrometer focus on the front standard would make it an F2. I think that's the later 8x10" metering back as well.

What would make it unusable? If it's in good condition, it's a fine camera, more portable than a P/P2, but lacking the asymmetrical swings and tilts and the self-arresting geared movements of a P.

You don't see too many 8x10" F2s. 4x5" F2s seem to sell in the $650-850 range, last I checked. I'd guess about double that for an 8x10".

The front rise looks a bit limited, you might inquire as to finding the screw-in extension rods so you can get some movement. But it shouldn't be a deal breaker -- when I followed these last year I think $1000 was the going price, although they often fetched more than the P version because 8x10 users tend to be hobby-outdoor types and prefer a lighter camera.

Dirk

This is probably a Sinar F1 8x10. I don't think the F2 is availble in the 8x10 however the F1 8x10 has many of the features of a 4x5 F2 such as solid front and rear rail mounts. The B&H Large Format catalogue is a great resource for Sinar.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor...FormatView.pdf

There is a new Sinar F1 8x10 on page 199 for $3,795.00.

You can convert the unit in your photos to a 4x5 by adding a F1 or F2 4x5 standarda, frame and 4x5 ground glass or you can add an 8x10 to 4x5 reduction back with 4x5 ground glass. I really like the 4x5 configuration on the 8x10 frame for the extra bellows travel, movements and size.

I recently sold a mint Sinar 8x10 conversion set on Ebay for $1,100.00 and purchased a mint Sinar F2 4x5 for $450.00 this was a very good price and an F2 set ups will be in the $500 to $900 range.

I would estimate a fair price (Ebay) for the unit in your photos would be in the $1,500 to $2,000 range and near or above the $2,000 if it is in excellent or mint condition. If you are buying from a store the price might be higher. The unit in your photos appears to have the current 8x10 back - black side levers for lifting the ground glass to insert the film holder. This back must be used with the F1 standard and will not mount on a P or P2 standard.

Good luck, the Sinar system is great.

Dennis

Also, it's fairly easy to do indirect rise on a Sinar, since you have levels and tilt scales.

It looks like an F1. You can tell by looking at the front standard. The F2 has long thick posts and this version was available on 5x7 and 8x10 formats. Also, the F2 posts are spring loaded like the rear standard. See the attached photo.

I thought Sinar made a big mistake using the F1 standard on 8x10. It is ok for 4x5/5x7, but you get very little rise on 8x10. The spring loaded F2 standard gives ample rise on 8x10 and the sping loading makes handling big heavy lenses easy. The F2 version is much more scarce. Sometimes you see the F2 front standard selling on ebay. You could upgrade if you find one.

Hard to tell from the murky pictures, but if it has one lever for both swing and shift, it is a F1. The F2 has separate swing and shift levers. Both F1 and F2 comes with front and rear geared focusing, whereas the F only sports gearing on the rear standard.

F1. The F2 has both front and rear standards geared.

Japan Exposures

Hello everybody. I would like to thank everybody for taking the time to reply with their comments, much appreciated.

I suppose the conclusion is that this is a F1. The photos are indeed a bit murky with little detail. The seller tells me that it is in good condition so I shall go and have a look in person. The current price (on auction, so may rise) is about $1850 which seems reasonable if the condition is good.