Page 47 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Perfect! I see, for some reason the server wasn't showing up when I started up the client, I updated to ColorGeniusEX 1.0.2 and updated the firmware to the latest version and now it works! Thanks!

*Edit*

It seemed to work for a moment, scanned in the diagnostic program, went through all the diagnostics 'OK', then I booted the server, then the client, it found the server for the first time, then when I tried to prescan it gave me an unknown error, I tried again and it gave a 'Low Light Intensity Error'.
    So I turned everything off, swapped the top lamp with one of the lamps used for reflective scanning, rebooted and now it keeps giving me a driver error described as 'Could not reset CCD, lens motor'.
    The maintenance program describes it as a 'Scanner Initialization Error #1100'

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Mick

Sadly all three lamps seem to be insufficiently bright, I got it for 150 euro's so might try changing the lamp assembly as I saw another member did.

That's probably the cheapest way to go. While Screen might still sell bulbs, they will probably cost as much as the scanner. At least the Elite has only 2. The regular Cezanne has 4!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

The Elite is supposed to have two lamps? Just for transparency you mean or altogether?
    I have one lamp up top for transparency and two below for reflective it seems.
    Today I cleaned the scanner internally as per Jim Rencklys instructions.
    I was hoping maybe grime was affecting the brightness of the lamps making it too the lens, but alas, still have the low light error, so it's time to remove the lamp assembly and start to work on that.

See: http://www.screen.co.jp/ga_dtp/en/ne...wsbox_11_4.pdf

In particular:

"In addition, to improve illumination, the Cézanne's two fluorescent lamps for trans- parencies have been replaced by a single light source with an oval mirror."
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan-0003.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	97841

I see, yes that's correct, in fact by adding to the reflective strip and having another look at the lights position, I managed to get a scan out of it, the result however is somewhat worrying since it's completely green as you can see from the attached image.

This is from a negative scan, predictably positive scans come out almost completely magenta...
    Does anybody happen to have encountered something similar? I'm hoping that it's software instead of hardware related, so figured I'd start out by trying to install a few different versions of ColorGeniusEX and have a look at how it does with reflective etc.
    I also figured I could try the calibration function in the maintenance program. Am I correct in assuming this works with standard IT8 targets?

Any other ideas as to what the problem might be and/or how to remedy it would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Vord; 29-Jun-2013 at 15:01. Reason: punctuation

To update :

I've got it working! Turned out to be a driver problem, rolling it back made the scanner function as should.
    The information on this forum proved to be very valuable.

I understand Peter replaced his bed with optical glass to wetmount on, but sees no advantage to it compared to the anti newton bed.
    Since my bed is pretty scratched and I'm missing the retaining plate I was looking into replacing both with anti newton glass, possibly from focal point. Has anybody else done this? If so do you perceive a quality difference between the glass and the original optical bed?

Wetmounting would not be an issue either since I also own a drum scanner but I kind of got the Cezanne for it's ease of use in comparison and wetmounting seems like it'd be somewhat cumbersome on a flatbed.

I had some trouble scanning colour negatives as most seem to have but messing with the film profiles gets it to acceptable levels of cut off.

Well, I've changed my opinion on that. During the course of building a dslr scanner, I used a Screen clam shell holder to run some tests. The AN texture caused an obvious loss of detail with high res scans. Re-visiting the issue with the Cezanne, I found that there is an advantage to using avoiding scanning through the anti Newton textured substrate. Like Vord, my main bed is pretty scratched, and so I use the clam shell holders with 4x5.

A screen tech recommended replacing the main bed with 6mm p99 acrylic. I have some for the Dlsr scanner project, and it looks very similar to the material that Screen used for the bed. The tech had replaced his Cezanne's bed with the P99 and said it worked fine, but I haven't verified that myself.

Interesting, how much loss of resolution would you say the original anti newton bed gives if you had to express it in a percentage?

I might try the P99 material, it doesn't seem to be too expensive and neither is a plain piece of optical glass so might just get both and do a few tests of my own.
    How cumbersome, if at all, do you feel wet mounting is on a flatbed Peter?
    Do you just do it with a roller and such? Any specific techniques I should be aware of?

I seem to remember reading you also made your own replacement frame for the scanner is that correct?
    How critical is it to get the glass at the exact same height?

Considering the ease of swapping out the bed with an extra frame I might just replace the original bed with P99 and make my own frame for the optical glass.
    It'd be good to have some choice on whether to scan for maximum quality or fast and decent.

Hi Vord,

I had a long day out photographing today. I'll take some pictures of my setup and post them tomorrow.