Page 45 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Bryan,

The plates do not provide required stability, just flattening. I never used more than one unless I had the bed filled with sheet film in a batch process.

During the scan, the movement is slow and methodical, not jerky enough to move film on bed. The scan rate will determine speed. I used a heavily braced table so there was no wiggle or shake, which I suppose could cause an issue but it would be across the entire scan, not generate a specific line on a scan.

Even though one of the lamps broke in shipping, the unit was locked and is pretty rugged in that state. Having shipping damage, while possible, would be low on the list of suspects.

Honestly, I would do a super clean of the unit to eliminate most of the dust you've encountered. I wrapped the unit in poly film to exclude dust, but you never know. Use a air filtration system around the machine like a sharper image type. Wear gloves, use air to blow off images (carefully). I always kept the unit covered with a dust cover when it was not in use.

I would take the same to the cpu and blow it out. It should be fairly clean but since if draws in air over time it can concentrate dust.

I still think your experiencing network and/or software glitches, not scanner issues. Screen still does service calls through trained intermediaries so you still have a factory to call on unlike the other flatbed companies. I don't think its necessary. And somewhere out there is a script with pictures on how to disassemble for cleaning, Peter can you point Bryan to it.

bob

Please don't misconstrue - I'm definitely not suggesting that the unit was damaged in shipping. I'm sure it's either something I'm doing related to setting up the film or some sort of data issue like we've been discussing.

I scanned a bunch of 35mm, 120, and 4x5 yesterday with no issues whatsoever - so I think I've solved it by bracing the film better. I really think the table I am using might be swaying a bit or something. I will have to rethink the bracing I've got.

You and Peter have been great with all the helpful insights!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I have had issues with lines similar to the ones you posted Bryan. All I can say is that I checked the cables, replaced the mac due to a failing power supply, replaced the platen with a piece of P99 acrylic, and cleaned the inside of the scanner (there was a lot of dust on the mirror). Now I only occasionally encounter these lines (say one 4x5 scan for every 10), and they are small enough that the print should be fine (and I can spot them out). I hopothesize that they are due to either network issues/data transfer, perhaps the platen causing some newton-ring-like interference (maybe a scratch), or dust on the mirror. Another post in another thread mentioned voltage stabilization as a potential culprit in producing similar lines with a drum scanner. I did not add a line conditioner/voltage stabilizer.

Further back in the thread is a post on how to open and clean the interior of the scanner. You might want to try this.
    Peter Y.

This class of scanner is amazing. If I didn't have the Polaroid I'd really be in mourning.

I'm very pleased the glitches went away, maybe it just needed some exercise. I had a few issues that were caused by over-dry air during the winter. A humidifier cured the problem.

It really helps with dust and other static issues. Humidification also helps the printer too.

Sometimes the static charge (before putting some moisture into the air) would have the film skating like magic on top of the acrylic. A bucket of water in your scanning room might be enough to moisten the heat dried air of winter. Georgia should be fine most of the year, unlike Peter in Colorado.

I also had mine on a lead/acid UPS, but only because I had one sitting around and figured what the heck. It might have provided a more stable electrical environment, better ground. probably reaching here.

bob

Interesting. It is the (short) dry season down here, though nearing the end of that. I currently have the scanner hooked up to a power conditioner as I own several for my audio recording gear anyway, so no problems there. I still might open 'er up for cleaning sometime. More importantly I need to be more stringent with my film! Dust on the film is the #1 culprit, not the scanner.

I think I'm going to need to open this thing up and check the mirror and anything else I can find. I did some more extensive tests and the lines are happening in exactly the same place (or close to it) every time. There's about 6-7 of them on the first 1/3 of the platen (starting from the left), and two about 2/3 of the way down the platen. I especially noticed as I did a test scan of an 8x10, as the lines make scanning an 8x10 horizontally (as suggested, parallel to the scanner platen movement) impossible without hitting one.

Also, a bit of weirdness - it appears the lines show up as the same per-pixel size regardless of DPI. In other words - with a 1000dpi proof scan of a 35mm neg, they are huge and dominate the photo, but with a 6000dpi scan of that negative they are small and not noticeable without zooming in a bit.

Now, I'm hoping this isn't the case, but I have noticed a couple times that this issue seems to "squish," the photo, like the stepper motor made too far of a movement and is compressing the image laterally. I will attach an image to give a better idea of what I am saying. Like I said, I hope not, because I assume if the stepper motor is causing this I assume that's a major problem.

I can't seem to find those instructions on how to open up the scanner. Does anyone have a link to them?

To sum up - basically there is an area about 8 inches long in the center of the platen that is giving me perfect scans, but the outer area, especially the first 1/3 of the platen, have those lines running perpendicular to the direction of motion of the scan platen all over the place.

Here is that photo. This is a 4000dpi scan of a 120 negative:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	azaleacolor-0037.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	91248

Also, how does the platen move? Via gears, or what? Just today it started making a rather disturbing sound when resetting the platen. It sounds like somethings almost getting stuck and hitching a few times before it gets properly seated. I'm a little worried.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thank you Peter!

Bryan, try something for me. With the power off, move the bed manually into the left guard and back to original position. Do this slowly. It should move smoothly with some resistance. Should go beginning to end without any binding or changes in resistance. Could it be binding somewhere.

Bob

I didn't feel any binding but it did feel like it was changing in resistance somewhat. I took a look at the rollers it moves on and saw that a couple of them were dirty. I have some time Saturday, I think I'll pull it apart and do a bit of cleaning, and maybe wipe down those rollers.