Page 38 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

I've been scanning bw negatives as a positive for years now. With CG, it's the only way to get 16-bit-per-channel output. This means that the preview image is reversed, though, and the numbers have to be calculated in reverse. It's not the end of the world, but it'd be nice not to have to do that. Today I figured out how. I feel really stupid, as I should've thought of this along time ago.

So here's the main CG window:

Go to the Manual Fine Adjust dialogue box.

Anyone else notice what might help? It's the RGB tone curve. Click 'enlarge' gives you:

Click 'arbitray', and click and hold a point on the curve. Slide the cursor to the left and lift the left endpoint to the top. Now click and go right, dragging the right endpoint down into the lower right corner. You should have a diagonal line from the upper left corner to the lower right corner. Click the "save" button, and name the curve "invert". Applying this curve to a BW negative with give you an inverted file, along with a positive preview screen. You can, of course, adjust the curve to taste. (You can also enter numbers in the 'highlight', 'midtone', and 'shadows' boxes in the curve dialogue. I did adjust the curve in the next image for a particular negative.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

One more image:

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Here is a picture of where I am so far.
    I got a Cezanne today (not Elite). It will sleep inside the car tonight.

It came with two Macs (previous onwer says one of them sure has some software installed for it, I think he wanted me to haul the Macs away).

The scanner itself seems very nice, dusty but nice.

I read through this thread and figured out I will bring a B&W G3 out, fill the slots (1Gb of RAM) and search for a fresh install of this software.
    I'll have the cables for sure and I have a nice assortment of Adaptec SCSI adapter boards to choose from in my shed. I'll post details later, maybe one of you will point me towards the most compatible SCSI adapter board.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cezannemoving.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	74847

I was able to recover the HD of the PowerMac G3 and backup the whole drive onto two other drives. Thus saving the install of Color Genius present there.
    I did an upgrade from OS8.5 to OS8.6 (preparing to transplant the drive to a newer G3).

I started the scanner and got a beep along with a blinking question mark. I read a few posts back and found info that Color Genius Server could display errors and their causes.

It did! Scanner failed to reset iris. Easy! Followed clean up instructions posted here, opened it up and checked iris ring, iris motor cables and simply set iris opened instead of closed. Tried to power up again and got a complete success!

The main mirror was dirty, very dirty, I didn't deal with that yet. But I got my first scan! Hey! That was easy too, after seeing so many printscreens here! Thanks!

Hi,

That's great! Make sure to check out: http://www.screen.co.jp/ga_dtp/en/download/

Depending on what OS you use, you may need firmware or other software updates. Make sure to read the readme file for an update to see if you need it.

If you want to run in OS10, you'll need Color Genius 2.x, and it'll only work with certain versions of OS 10.

Be very careful cleaning the first surface mirror. They are delicate! I won't do any rubbing whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Hi,
    Make sure to read the readme file for an update to see if you need it.
    If you want to run in OS10, you'll need Color Genius 2.x, and it'll only work with certain versions of OS 10.
    Be very careful cleaning the first surface mirror. They are delicate! I won't do any rubbing whatsoever.
    I downloaded 1.0.4, I believe it should be right. (right now I have 1.0.1).

OSX is a desire. Hoping to find a generous soul in this strange world we live in.

I forsee some scrubbing, by looking at the layer of dust, I see no way around that...

My FT-S5000 didn't come with the grid on top of the light table.
    That seems very handy (thinking lots of negatives, tight spacing, batch!).
    Any ideas of onto which material to print one grid like that?

Take a lint free type of wipe. Saturate it with cleaner. Lay it down on the mirror without any scrubbing. Let it sit for a few seconds, and then lift it up and off of the mirror. Throw that sheet out. Repeat with a new sheet. If you scrub a first surface mirror, you will destroy it.

I was able to clean the mirror pretty much.
    The acrilic tray is marked up badly. Considering possibilities. Maybe a hole cut thru the acrilic could serve as a place to lay a sheet of glass with the negative mounted (wet) to it, upside down. Is this clear?

I transplanted the HD to the B&W G3, got some tips from lowendmac.com too. Now I have 1Gb of RAM. Still in OS8.6.
    Haven't upgraded to 1.0.4 yet, but I have downloaded already.

Here is my first test, after mirror clean up. A piece of 16mm movie film, just laid on top of the acrilic tray at 6000 spi.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scanCZ_004crop.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	76224

I also scanned an 8x10 negative at 1000 spi just to see how long it takes. Reasonable.