Page 33 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Quote Originally Posted by mdala View Post
    I tried that too, but by scanning at 5300spi on the Cezanne before downsampling to 4000. And you're right, there is a difference, but it's not like night and day.
    Try some B&W. Color film has multiple layers which makes it inherently less sharp than B&W. I don't know what lens, camera and film you used but at 4000 spi I suspect you are at or beyond the resolution of the image.

Sandy King has posted elsewhere on this forum that with the Mamiya 7, a sharp B&W film, and careful technique you would have to scan at about 5400 spi to extract all the available information on the film. As far as I am concerned, this is the limit, at least for resolution (I'm disregarding TechniPan here, which is no longer available).
    Peter Y.

If I understand correctly, you're earlier scans were better on the Cezanne, but now all of a sudden they are soft. Is that right? If so, it sounds like something might've become mis-aligned in the optical system, but that seems unlikely given the robust construction. Are you sure you're scanning bed is seated properly? (I use the clam shell holders, and it's very easy to not seat them squarely.)

I agree with you regarding color negative scanning: It's a pain with Color Genius.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter York View Post
    Try some B&W. Color film has multiple layers which makes it inherently less sharp than B&W. I don't know what lens, camera and film you used but at 4000 spi I suspect you are at or beyond the resolution of the image.
    the animated gifs I posted earlier were taken with a Hasselblad XPan. The lenses are excellent. I'll try what you suggest and scan b&w on both scanners.

Sandy King has posted elsewhere on this forum that with the Mamiya 7, a sharp B&W film, and careful technique you would have to scan at about 5400 spi to extract all the available information on the film. As far as I am concerned, this is the limit, at least for resolution (I'm disregarding TechniPan here, which is no longer available).
    That's been my experience too. With the drum scanner, I go for 6000spi for 6x7 frames. I mostly shoot ektar 100 (very fine grain) or the new portra 400. Most of my film stuff is shot on the mamiya 7 or the xpan. The gif below clearly show my issue with the cezanne. The sharp image is from the Nikon scanner. Film is Ektar 100, Mamiya 7, 65mm @ f5.6 i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    If I understand correctly, you're earlier scans were better on the Cezanne, but now all of a sudden they are soft. Is that right? If so, it sounds like something might've become mis-aligned in the optical system, but that seems unlikely given the robust construction. Are you sure you're scanning bed is seated properly? (I use the clam shell holders, and it's very easy to not seat them squarely.)
    That's right, something seems to have happened. First, though, I had the wrong scanning methodology: scanning long side of film parallel to scanning lamp instead of perpendicular to it. I'm now scanning with the film's short side parallel to the lamp but scans aren't hugely sharper.

After several hours spent trying to find what is causing unsharp scans, I've just discovered that the retaining plate (the small rectangular anti newton rings tray) is creating issues.

There are two files below, to illustrate. If you look closely on the second scan (the one which uses the retaining plate), everything in the image looks as if it had gone through a median filter. In other words, it looks as if the Cezanne is trying to focus on the retaining plate itself instead of the film. (see slighty mottled pattern in small bush at the right of frame)

1- Here is a crop of a neg scanned at 5300spi. The film was placed on the scanning bed, and the black mask positioned over it. I didn't use the retaining plate for this scan. Luckily, the film itself was flat. No sharpening was applied. Please view at 100%.

2- Here is a crop of a neg scanned at 5300spi. The film was placed on the scanning bed, the black mask positioned over. I used the retaining plate for this scan. Luckily, the film itself was flat. No sharpening was applied. Please view at 100%.

Of course, any hint about what might be going on will be great!

Thank you

MD

Maybe this shows the issue more clearly

Were you using the hold down tray for the previous, sharper scans? If so, I would contact the tech that serviced the scanner (I think you mentioned this previously) as it seems like an issue with the focusing being slightly off.

Does your hold-down tray have handles, giving a clear indication of which side should be placed on top of the film? I ask because I'm wondering if you placed the non-glare side properly.
    Peter Y.

Hi Peter, yes I was using the tray before. I'm using Screen's hold down tray for the Cezanne. The one with two black handles; there is only one way to place it on the scanning bed.

Is there a chance the focus adjustment is something I could do myself? Have you done it before?

Thanks

I have never fiddled with the internals of the scanner except to clean out the mirror and lens. If someone serviced your scanner and then you started experiencing issues you should contact the service tech. They are probably responsible for the issue.
    Peter Y.

I have never fiddled with the internals of the scanner except to clean out the mirror and lens. If someone serviced your scanner and then you started experiencing issues you should contact the service tech. They are probably responsible for the issue.
    I will contact the Screen tech. The problem didn't arise after his visit though.