Page 29 of 107 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

thanks

gigi

So I've been intent on making my color negatives work on my FT-5000. I think I finally found a good workflow. Here's what I do:

Calibration:
    1. For each film session I take a photo of my MacBeth calibration chart (i.e. ColorChecker Passport)
    2. Scan in RGB, 0-255, all adjustments turned off, 1200 resolution
    3. Open in ACR from Bridge
    4. Open in CS5
    5. Run ACRCalibrator and record the resulting settings
    6. Re-open file in ACR, apply settings, and save Preset

Scans:
    1. Scan color neg with same settings as calibration
    2. Open ACR from Bridge and apply appropriate Preset
    3. Open in CS5 and post to taste

As an aside I'm experimenting with glassless scanning on my FT-5000. So far my rudimentary setup has yielded visibly better results than when I scan on my glass. Next I'll be making a custom mask plate with a cutout for my film holders (I use my V750 film holders since they're easy to load) to make the process a bit more stable and precise. Very encouraged so far.

Photo of the rudimentary setup. Yes, that's artists tape holding the back end of the folk holder to the frame. Up front it sitting on a thick cardboard shim to get it to the right focus height.

IMG_0398[1] by photosmart42, on Flickr

Thanks for posting.

It's interesting that you get better results "glassless". I did a comparison test with my scanner, and I couldn't see any difference.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I have not gone glassless, but I have looked at wet mounted versus dry and I saw virtually no difference like others have posted. That holder looks like an Epson film holder - they are not the best at keeping 120mm and 35mm films flat.

I just finished some scanner maintenance. My G4 died on me and I replaced it with another. I also cleaned out the scanner using Jim's instructions. There was quite a bit of dust on the mirror to remove. Finally, I replaced the bed with P99 Acrylite from Plasticare, which is a 5 min. drive away. I am happy to report that all issues with "striping" in scans are gone.

I'm going to order some thinner P99 soon to see if it can be used on top to hold the films flat on the bed. If successful, then I'm DONE with wet mounting. I have had a lot of problems with Kami fluid drying out during scans, and also with the mylar creating "rainbow" like artifacts in the skies. I'll let you know how this goes.

Color negative is still banding on me, though much less than before. I'll work on this over the next few months and report back.
    Peter Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Thanks for posting.

It's interesting that you get better results "glassless". I did a comparison test with my scanner, and I couldn't see any difference.
    My platen looks like it's had better days, so it's possibly the reason for the difference in quality. I'll keep experimenting once I get a better mask/platen to support my film holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter York View Post
    I have not gone glassless, but I have looked at wet mounted versus dry and I saw virtually no difference like others have posted. That holder looks like an Epson film holder - they are not the best at keeping 120mm and 35mm films flat.
    For 120 and 4x5 I'm using the betterscanning holders. Wish they made the 35 insert into the 120 holder already, but haven't seen it yet. To be honest I haven't had any issues with film flatness using the V750 holder. I've experimented with a bunch of different options, and from a convenience vs. performance point of view the Epson holder wins hands-down.

I just finished some scanner maintenance. My G4 died on me and I replaced it with another. I also cleaned out the scanner using Jim's instructions. There was quite a bit of dust on the mirror to remove. Finally, I replaced the bed with P99 Acrylite from Plasticare, which is a 5 min. drive away. I am happy to report that all issues with "striping" in scans are gone.
    Care to share the scanner maintenance instructions? I'd like to give my scanner a good scrub if I can.

See the previous posts for the scanner maintenance.

The dimensions of the P99 replacement platen are:
    22.75" x 14.75"
    make cuts at 0.25" from the corner
    either 5mm or 3/16" thick
    Peter Y.

I am happy to report that all issues with "striping" in scans are gone.
    That's great to hear!

I'm going to order some thinner P99 soon to see if it can be used on top to hold the films flat on the bed. If successful, then I'm DONE with wet mounting. I have had a lot of problems with Kami fluid drying out during scans, and also with the mylar creating "rainbow" like artifacts in the skies. I'll let you know how this goes.
    I agree. Wet-mounting is not worth the effort with a Cezanne.

I'm really glad that the P99 is working out. I'll have to get some myself.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    For 120 and 4x5 I'm using the betterscanning holders. Wish they made the 35 insert into the 120 holder already, but haven't seen it yet. To be honest I haven't had any issues with film flatness using the V750 holder. I've experimented with a bunch of different options, and from a convenience vs. performance point of view the Epson holder wins hands-down.

Care to share the scanner maintenance instructions? I'd like to give my scanner a good scrub if I can.
    http://www.thepwvhiline.com/FT5000_Clean_Up.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCarthy View Post
    Thanks!!
    -Dragos