Page 17 of 107 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Hi Peter,

That sounds like a good method.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hi all,

I found this group and would like some help. We've had a Cezanne Elite S5500 for over 7 years now. We use it daily but now can't get support from Screen anymore. We're having some problems with dirt and getting flare around the white areas. We also get the low light intensity error and aren't sure the cause of that. We've just replaced the three bulbs in the scanner but don't know where to go from here.

Does anyone know how to clean one of these or have a Service manual? Does anyone know someone that services them we could call?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff Rhoades
    Thomson-Shore

Screen was no help? Kristin at Screen (Chicago branch) was helpful the last time I talked to her, although that was over a year ago. The other places to check are the places that sell printing equipment. Google is your friend. I have a 5000, which uses 4 bulbs. I thought the 5500 used two bulbs. It's possible that you have grime on the lenses or mirror, but these are probably very delicate. "...problems with dirt..." doesn't sound good. What do you mean?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Screen was no help? Kristin at Screen (Chicago branch) was helpful the last time I talked to her, although that was over a year ago. The other places to check are the places that sell printing equipment. Google is your friend. I have a 5000, which uses 4 bulbs. I thought the 5500 used two bulbs. It's possible that you have grime on the lenses or mirror, but these are probably very delicate. "...problems with dirt..." doesn't sound good. What do you mean?
    Peter,

If your only scanning film, you can remove the bottom 2 lamps and get more life from the lamp set. Save the removed lowers for the day the uppers go.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yep, that's what I do because of a tip from you. I only mentioned the bulb numbers since Jeff mentioned replacing three on his 5500, which surprised me.

Gotcha, I thought we discussed this before.

Sounds like the new guys unit needs some good housekeeping. I'm anal how I keep mine - always covered against dust when not in use. The screen manual actually has a spec. for number of dust particles/cubic meter.

I never did find a full blown service manual for the day it becomes necessary.

I know guys who run dust cleaning equipment in their work rooms. Actually sounds like a good idea.

Hopefully life is treating you well.

bob

Jim

I was digital imaging field engineer for 14 years and worked on all types of film scanners, flatbeds, dye subs, digital print heads both VFPH and LED and other imaging equipment. I have owned a FT5000 for several months. It has performed perfectly and the scans are great. When I first obtained the unit it needed a good cleaning. I could see the mirror was very dusty and in general it was very dusty in all areas. I knew it had be be dusty inside as well. Equipment is equipment. It was a fairly straight forward task to remove the cover plate and light table to access the camera and mirror area. It has one mirror and the camera/sensor on X Y rails with stepper motors inside. That's about it. I have a step by step annotated series of photos showing how to access and clean the scanner. I can email to anyone interested.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JJCNER View Post
    I was digital imaging field engineer for 14 years and worked on all types of film scanners, flatbeds, dye subs, digital print heads both VFPH and LED and other imaging equipment. I have owned a FT5000 for several months. It has performed perfectly and the scans are great. When I first obtained the unit it needed a good cleaning. I could see the mirror was very dusty and in general it was very dusty in all areas. I knew it had be be dusty inside as well. Equipment is equipment. It was a fairly straight forward task to remove the cover plate and light table to access the camera and mirror area. It has one mirror and the camera/sensor on X Y rails with stepper motors inside. That's about it. I have a step by step annotated series of photos showing how to access and clean the scanner. I can email to anyone interested.

Jim
    That would be appreciated.

Also Peter has a bit of Cezanne info on his site. Would be a good place to keep it also.

bob

Hi Jim,

It's great to know of a knowledgeable scanner tech! Thank you for posting to this thread.

Like Bob, I keep my scanner covered when not in use. I also run a Honeywell room HEPA unit. It helps.

Jim

I have decided to post the steps for dis-assembly and cleaning on the web.
    Here is a link. I would think the 5000 and the 5500 should be similar. If someone with a 5500 would comment on that it would be good to know.

I want to add a word of caution that I hope will be self evident. Just to be on the safe side, I wouldn't move or touch the camera, bellows or camera body and electronics. The only thing on the camera you should touch would be the front of the lens when cleaning it.

Jim

http://www.thepwvhiline.com/FT5000_Clean_Up.jpg
    Last edited by JJCNER; 28-Jan-2010 at 16:32.