Page 11 of 107 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Bob, I haven't noticed the light table going out. I don't keep the lid open for long though so I am not sure. The light table is kind of useful to spot those dust specks that I missed when putting the neg in the resin holder. Maybe you need to replace the lamp illuminating the light table? It looks like my light table goes on when I open the lid. Or could it be a bad micro contact? I had a look in the hardware manual but I cannot find anything about the light table and what kind of lamp is underneath it. As far as can tell the light table is not illuminated by the reflective scanning lamps.

Peter, doesn't a higher optical resolution give you a higher enlargement factor? If I for instance scan at 4300dpi instead of 4000dpi I can print a little bigger if using a set printing resolution like 300dpi. Even if the extra pixels from scanning at 4300dpi don't yield any extra real information they are still there and will enable me to print larger?

Chris

Hi Chris,

If there's not any extra real info, I doubt that there'd be a difference between doing the interpolation in the scanner, PS, or the print driver. But this isn't anything I've tested. I have a small 13" printer .
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

If there are any differences I am sure they are insignificant for the final result!

I noticed that the software CD contains a few updates of ColorGenius to 1.0.4 I believe. I am running 1.0.1 and I see no reason to update really or should I?

If you go to the Screen Japan site, http://www.screen.co.jp/ga_dtp/en/download/ , they have readme files for each of the updates. In the readme files, they say what they've done. I'm running 1.0.4, but I can't remember why
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

1.0.4 is the last upgrade of version 1.X, that's ot folks.

I've been trying to run down a copy of 2.0. so far no luck...

The light table goes off after a while, as if its on a timer or has a temp limit- I don't know, but it's not consistent.

Anyone have a digital copy of the hardware side for maintenance issues. I'd like to see how clean the optics are, and if there is any scheduled maintenance that I can do.

bob

Hi Bob,

Sorry, I don't have a service manual. My guess is Screen made a lot of money selling service contracts to their customers. Hence, they probably keep it in a heavily fortified bunker.

I will link to a few of my first scans with the Cezanne. Scroll with the arrows. I am not color managed so colors may be off. The color negative presets in Color Genius are pretty good after all, but I think I have used nearly every one of them with one or two color neg films.

Screen Cezanne scans

Chris, I have a profile for Provia if you want it.

Scan native and assign the profile in photoshop. After the image has the profile attached, convert to Adobe98.

I'll send it to your email address

Bob

I have a simple question, I think I know the answer, but

If I scan a black and white negative, with settings on 16 bit RGB transparency

how close to b&w should the scan be?

Mine come out with a strong red cast, I'm assuming this scanner can be calibrated, is that correct?

Now by building a profile (for provia in this case) I can pretty much nail the correct colors.

Are two wrongs making a right????

bob

When scanning a black and white negative, to get 16 bit you want to scan as a positive, as you know. However, there is no reason to assign a color profile to this scan. Simply import the file into Photoshop and look at each of the color channels. Pick the best one, which is usually the green one, and change the mode to grayscale, which will discard the unnecessary channels. Whether the three channels produce a good grayscale in a color mode in Photoshop is irrelevant.

Scanning a Stouffer 31 step 4x5 step wedge is a good way to investigate what scanner settings work best.

If you want to get really picky, you can scan a step wedge and create grayscale ICC files using QTR's create ICC application for negatives of different dynamic ranges. This would linearize the scanned file. I don't think this is worth it, though. While a color image might occasionally be captured exactly as intended in camera, BW negatives very rarely are. The main reason for ICC files is to get rid of unwanted color casts, which can be very difficult to do manually, and obviously these casts aren't a problem for BW. Using a Provia profile with bw could very easily lead to clipping of highlight or shadow information.