Page 37 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Thank you! I hope you did not feel pressed, that wasn't my intention, and there ate others out here with the same set-up.

My second point was just an idea that occurred to me: I always thought that B&W film rendered different results from colour film reduced to monochrome. I'm unsure what B&W film still has as an advantage when scanned as colour positive. Is a scanned photo from B&W film which is reduced to one channel (i.e., B&W) better than one scanned from colour film and reduced to B&W? If there is no difference, using colour film would give ore choice in how the final product looks. I suspect there will still be differences however.

No problem.

If you scan film as a negative with Color Genius, you will only be able to output an 8-bit per channel file. If you scan as a positive, whether you scan a slide, color negative, or bw negative, you can output a 16-bit per channel image. That's a huge advantage, especially with BW. A 16 bit per channel file gives you much more room for editing without a visually important tonal quality loss.

Black and white films render the image in a different way than a color film. With regular bw film, the image is made up of clumps of silver grains. With color film, the silver grains are moved in the blix step. What's left are color dyes. As a result, if you enlarge the picture enough to see these artifacts, then the pictures will look different.

The other differences are that BW film is cheaper, processing it is easier and cheaper, it's easy to adjust contrast with varied development, and it has a unique tonal response. There's probably more differences.

With color negative film, you have the orange film mask, which can make color adjustment a bit challenging. It can capture a greater range of luminosities than positive color film but probably not as much as BW film. (With two part Pyrocat development, one can capture and absolutely huge range of luminosities with BW film.)

The advantage of color film for use as a black white image is that you can play with the tonal rendition by using different channels for the conversion.

I prefer my BW to be made from BW negatives. For some reason, I like the look better. But I know a number of people make a conversion from color negatives, and I wouldn't hesitate to do so if that's what I had shot with.

The only way to make an informed choice about this is to try it both ways and see what you think.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

For the last couple of years I have had access to a Cezanne FT-S5000 running ColorGenius ver1 on Mac OS-9. Recently, in conjunction with the local Chamber of Commerce, we managed to rescue the machine from the company concerned – they have no further use for it – and it is now heading on permanent loan to the Photographic/Arts Department at Samuel Ward Arts & Technology College, the local sixth form high-school in Haverhill, Suffolk.

I have one question for anybody out there and a possible answer for Willem in Cambridge just down the road. To Willem, We have the full instructions for both the scanner and ColorGenius ver1, both in PDF format and as a ‘visual talk-through’. Provided that nobody shouts ‘foul’, we would be quite happy to supply these on a CD or some other way.

My one question is simple, although not necessarily easy to answer in the positive: is it possible to get the FT-S5000 to link up with the G4 Mac through the SCSI when the Mac is in OS-Classic. All the software works in OS-Classic, which, as an emulator of OS-10, is much more up-to-date for the college students than OS-9, and the Photoshop 5.5 is considerably faster in Classic. We are using an Adaptec SCSI capable of OS-9 or OS-10 but, despite OS-Classic ‘seeing’ the FT-S5000, it will not connect like it does in OS-9.

Thanks to anyone for any possible answers or ideas on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Maidment View Post
    We have the full instructions for both the scanner and ColorGenius ver1, both in PDF format and as a ‘visual talk-through’.
    I live in Fowlmere, not too far away in fact (and my wife teaches in Linton), so I'd love to drop by one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Maidment View Post
    We are using an Adaptec SCSI capable of OS-9 or OS-10 but, despite OS-Classic ‘seeing’ the FT-S5000, it will not connect like it does in OS-9.
    I do not know whether it is at all possible, but I do know that it is important to install the correct driver for the Adaptec card. For vs. 2 of ColorGenius it is 1.3 (it was on this forum a while ago), but I'm not sure whether it makes a difference for vs. 1 under Classic. EDIT: it should be independent from ColorGenius, and if so, the driver may well be on your CD that came with Adaptec.

All the best,

Willem

Willem,
    Let me know when you are likely or able to drop in and we can sort out the instructions for you - telephone 01440-702071.
    I fear that the 'Classic' problem is not easily solved, but I will certainly look into the Adaptec route.
    All best, Rob

Rob, I just read on a Dutch site that the adaptec 2930/2906 cards do not work because of the wrong operating voltage or so. There was mention of Atto scsi cards which would work. Someone else, however, said that he used the 2906 card w/ 10.3 on Quicksilver and it worked, despite the fact that system profiler did not show the scanner (it did show the card). The thread dated to 2004.

I'll still hope to drop by one day, have been a bit busy (what else is new).

Hi guys,

My ancient G4 Powermac has died and has been replaced by a G5 (couldn't find a G4 locally). The version of OS X that came with the G5 doesn't have Rosetta (OS 9) for this reason, I'm not able to install ColorGenius EX version 1 on the G5. Would anyone here be able to help with an OS X compatible version of ColorGenius EX? I think version 2.xx is compatible with OS X and I tried downloading it from the Screen website, but it looks like they removed it. Any help greatly appreciated!

MD

MD,

Do you have an FS-5000 (Screen Cezanne) or an FS-5500 (Screen Cezanne Elite)?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    MD,
    Do you have an FS-5000 (Screen Cezanne) or an FS-5500 (Screen Cezanne Elite)?
    I have an Elite (5500)

I don't know of another person who has an Elite, sorry.