Page 82 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Is your scanner on a heavy, solid table?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I would be happy for a copy of the manual. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Daniel View Post
    Thanks coisasdavida! I'll be sure to check the rails again and see if there's anything sticky. Do you have any recommendations for lubricating the rails?

@everybody, I contacted Screen Europe and they were extremely helpful. They sent me the service manual. I don't know if you already have it, but if you want it just let me know and I can upload it or make it available through WeTransfer.

They indicated that it's been 5 years or so that they've done maintenance on a Cézanne. So they don't have all the knowledge anymore, but they would try and see if an engineer's available to help me. They will also look and see if they have calibration glasses to perform the calibrations on the scanner.

@Corran, yes I've placed it on a solid table with a thick steel frame and legs.

@Clickwrr: Sure! This is the link: https://we.tl/w5SmdGzsdR

Since Screen doesn't sell or officially services the Cézanne anymore, I guess they were OK to send me the service manual.

Ok, so I've done several tests and it seems that towards the sides of the scanning bed, the quality deteriorates. Now I don't know the exact setup for the optical unit, but it seems every time that the quality in the middle is ok-ish, but deteriorates towards the sides. as if it judders as it moves.
    I think that the quality at 4000spi is till ok, because it can scan it without moving the optical unit (for 35mm), but as soo as you up to 5300spi for example, it needs to make small movements which deteriorates the quality of the scan.

What I've done is the following: I took 3 filmstrips, placed one along the short side and 2 extra along the long side of the scanning bed to cover as much of the width as possible. I know this is not the way to scan, but it would allow me to force the scanner to along the complete width and see what it does. I then repeated that at a higher resolution and did it in two passes.

Complete width: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test-0099.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	172772 Lower half (close to the front of the scanner): Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test-0101.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	172773 upper half (close to the hinges): Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test-0102.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	172774
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screen cezanne tes-0086.jpg  

Then I took one film strip and scanned it separately Along the long side on the outer edges of the scanning bed, so close to the front of the scanner and the back, close to the hinges and finally in the middle

Front of the scanner: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen cezanne tes-0086.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	172776 back of the scanner: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen cezanne tes-0091.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	172777 and the middle: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen cezanne tes-0097.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	172778

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christian-NRW View Post
    By the way, is it public wisdom that there is a german operation manual for Color Genius as well as the Cezanne hardware freely available as PDF under http://www.screen-dsd.de/fileadmin/Daten_Dainippon/pdf/ ? The german Color Genius manual is especially interesting as it appears not to be an 1:1 transtation but rather an interpretation written by an experienced user.
    Patrick, maybe you can find a clue here:, back in 2013 Christian point us to this link. This is a dead link now, but I downloaded the files and kept them.
    I used this manual to setup my Cezanne here. Google Translator may be of assistance. Good luck!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0dfe771z5...nuals.zip?dl=0

Any ideas what error (1102) ft-5000 scanner initialization error: Left cover is open.? Left over is installed so I’m not too sure what’s going on. Maybe a sensor I’m overlooking not to sure tho.

Thanks Coisasdavida! It is indeed different from the manuals I have. It has not resolved my issue, but it sure does provide a lot of information.
    I've ben in contact with the distributor here in the Netherlands and got to speak to a technical engineer and sent him the scans I made. Unfortunately he wasn't able to help me as the person with the knowledge about the Screen didn't work there anymore. He only could avise me to clean the rails with WD-40.

So my hope is now with Screen Europe and the person I got to talk to, to provide more information and hopefully a resolution and parts.

In the meantime, I scanned a filmstrip again yesterday towars the back of the scanner and it's not so blurry anymore.
    This leads me to think that it indeed is due to the rails and their lubrication. Given the fact that I lubricated the rails the day before yesterday.

I'll ask Screen what they recommend for the lubrication of the rails. In the scanner there seem to be two types of sliders: the plastic (nylon?) pads and the metal holders.
    Each axis (x and y) has both types. The plastic pads have a thicker grease to slide on and the metal holders have oil.

If you look back through this thread, a former Screen scanner tech posted. You might try contacting him.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know