Page 86 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

The acrylic tray is very easy to scratch, in my experience. Wet mounting inherently leaves some residue. (If you don't believe me, place a drop on a clean sheet of glass and let it dry for a week. You'll see a spot.) Cleaning off the residue would ultimately lead to scratches on the scanning try. Like Guiherme, I use a DIY glass tray for wet mounting. If you're going to wet-mount everything, then it probably doensn't matter, as the new fluid should dissolve whatever was left from teh last time, and you won't need to clean the tray too often.

I'm really glad that you solved your scsi problem!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Shawcross View Post
    Okay, feeling a bit stupid! It was a bent contact on the cable. I'd inspected it before, but obviously not carefully enough as I had another look under better lighting and sure enough there was one bent contact. Scanner up and running again.

Which brings me to the next question - I'm thinking about giving wet mount scanning a go. I'm curious to see what it does for dust/scratches as spotting scans is never much fun. It seems like I can try this out with Gamsol and dura-lar sheets as per recommendations of other scanners here without spending a fortune on Aztec supplies. Can I wet mount straight to the the anti newton glass without fear of damaging it, or is that a no-no?
    Sorry for the late reply to your previous connection issue . . .I sent it by direct reply, which went to the site administrator . . .Ooopps!! . .
    This is what I sent . . .
    "Hi . . .
    Before doing a massive erase of all files . . .
    Try and find all the 'SCREEN' and 'ColorGenius' folders & files and erase them . . i.e. not affecting the operating system.
    Then try loading the ColorGenius S/W again . . . ('Preferences' is a bit of a pig when reloading this system . . . ;-)
    Hope it works for you. . . .
    BR, TC
    PS . . Obviously, check the pins of the SCSI cable/socket to ensure they are not damaged . . . "

This last line looks as though it would've sorted your issue . . .

I have the 'SCREEN' special trays for holding the 'Wet mounting' holders . . . . Might you be interested in it . . Tray plus holders . . ??
    (Will take some pictures if interested . . . ;-)
    BR, TC

Quote Originally Posted by TC542 View Post
    I have the 'SCREEN' special trays for holding the 'Wet mounting' holders . . . . Might you be interested in it . . Tray plus holders . . ??
    (Will take some pictures if interested . . . ;-)
    BR, TC
    I'd be quite curious to see what the special tray and wet mounting holders look like as I don't think I've seen them before. Could you post pictures to the thread? However, I'm probably not in the market at this stage to buy them as I'm only planning on experimenting with wet mounting rather than committing to it as a permanent way of scanning (or at least until I'm convinced the gains are worthwhile).

I do have a glass try of some description that came with the scanner, pictured below
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0240.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	178256

I'm not sure what it is used for, it's just sat in a draw since I've had the scanner - it has some thumb wheels and what looks to be like some steel springs on the right hand side. Maybe I could try wet mounting on this?

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Maybe I could try wet mounting on this?
    If that is glass, that is great!

I've not seen a Screen wet mounting tray, but that looks like a good candidate. If it's glass, then by all means give it a try!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Smile Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

I'd be quite curious to see what the special tray and wet mounting holders look like as I don't think I've seen them before. Could you post pictures to the thread? However, I'm probably not in the market at this stage to buy them as I'm only planning on experimenting with wet mounting rather than committing to it as a permanent way of scanning (or at least until I'm convinced the gains are worthwhile).

I do have a glass try of some description that came with the scanner, pictured below
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0240.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	178256

I'm not sure what it is used for, it's just sat in a draw since I've had the scanner - it has some thumb wheels and what looks to be like some steel springs on the right hand side. Maybe I could try wet mounting on this?
    Hi . . . I believe this is the clear glass tray that is used for 'Line-Art' scanning. (I will need to double check with my collection. . . .)
    I will post pictures of the 'Standard'/'frosted'/ Anti-Newton tray . . Glass tray for line art, along with accessories needed . .
    Also, the 'Compound Tray' with accessories for slides,film and Oil holders.
    I also did have other options for 'Dot Copy' of image setter films . . That you can regenerate an original/ useable image from the 4 colour seperations . .!!
    This you can then re-size . etc.etc. . . . (Some company kept their old films of company logos/artworks for future reference . . .)

By the way there re only 11 actual resolutions . . 1200 and 2400dpi being 2 of them . . These are used for 'Line-Art' and 'Dot Copy' . .
    The other resolutions are 'Interpolated/De-Interpolated' depending on the magnification, etc.

Hope this helps . . .
    TC542

Hi . . .
    Following on from my previous post . . .
    I have prepared a PDF document highlighting the 'Accessories' for the Cezanne scanner that I have . . .
    (May also help with the 'Oil Tray' issue . . . ;-)

I may let some of these go . . If the price is right . .
    Regards, TC542

Cezanne scanner.pdf

Oil tray = clamshell holders?

Quote Originally Posted by TC542 View Post
    Hi . . . I believe this is the clear glass tray that is used for 'Line-Art' scanning. (I will need to double check with my collection. . . .)
    I will post pictures of the 'Standard'/'frosted'/ Anti-Newton tray . . Glass tray for line art, along with accessories needed . .
    Also, the 'Compound Tray' with accessories for slides,film and Oil holders.
    I also did have other options for 'Dot Copy' of image setter films . . That you can regenerate an original/ useable image from the 4 colour seperations . .!!
    This you can then re-size . etc.etc. . . . (Some company kept their old films of company logos/artworks for future reference . . .)

By the way there re only 11 actual resolutions . . 1200 and 2400dpi being 2 of them . . These are used for 'Line-Art' and 'Dot Copy' . .
    The other resolutions are 'Interpolated/De-Interpolated' depending on the magnification, etc.

Hope this helps . . .
    TC542
    Thanks for posting pictures of the accessories - it is good to see them all in one place. Looks like the my glass tray is the line art tray. I think I might give wet scanning a go on that one and see what the results are like. Could you tell us a little more of about the 11 actual resolutions? I assume each of these 11 resolutions also has a maximum scan size before interpolation happens due to the CCD size?

Hi all, new Cezanne Elite owner there;

First I must say that I have much respect to all that have contributed to this thread.

---
    My white calibration strip is scratched, so I thought of creating a new one from Canon PT-101 Pro Platinum paper.

I then noticed that the original strip has a yellowish tint, maybe because it's nearly 20 years old, I wonder.
    The Canon paper is much whiter !

Would making my own calibration strip from Canon paper actually work, with maybe an even better calibration result than the original item ?
    I will make a ICC profile for the scanner afterwards.
    ---
    2nd question:

This is a XY scanner, but to my surprise people here mentioned that you need to scan in narrow stripes to achieve the highest resolution possible, and then stitch in Photoshop.

Is it really the case ? So what is the XY system for ?!?! It should logically create itself the required strips automatically (I know that unlike with Creo scanners you have to stitch yourself).

What is then the optimal scanning width and resolution according to your experience ?
    I've read that people here chose 8000 DPI as the CCD has 8000 elements (even though the max resolution is officially 5300 DPI).
    ---
    3rd question please:

You can profile the scanner with an IT8 target and write the result in the scanner's EPROM.

Is there a way to entirely disable it ?

As I will profile the scanner anyway in i1Profiler, I believe that it would be better to avoid double profiling.

Would the technique that allows to scan in RAW (making the Finish box empty in ColorGenius) discard any internal profiling ?
    ---
    4th question:

Is DotFinder only useful for separation film ? Is it useless for regular film ?
    ---
    5th question:

Would the Cezanne work with the Atto UL5D SCSI card ? It's the only PCI Express SCSI card available for old Macs to my knowledge, aside the RATOC FR1SX FireWire adapter.
    ---
    Thank you everyone for your insight !