Page 27 of 107 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Jim

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Peter, if you sent a CMYK file saved with the euro color space and the printer was not using this the shades of colors you expected to see when printed would be not be exactly the same. At this time euro is outdated and there are different swop (Specifications for Web Offset Publications) and jcolor standards even for what type of stock the images are printed on. If you look at color settings in Photoshop you can get an idea of how many different standards there are.

Hi Jim,

That much I know The question is, since we have to pick one of these when we scan with a Cezanne, which one should we pick? I only make prints with an inkjet printer.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Since my monitor was SWOP certified I selected SWOP as it is the common US print standard.

http://swop.org/certification/

bob

So I've just finished some delving into the manual. It looks to me as if the output profiles only effect the maximum and minimum RGB output values (or CMYK values if that's what you're using.) You can adjust and save your own values very easily, and you can load them to use repeatedly. If you specify the min/max in the fine adjustment screen, then you will be over-riding the profile values. I usually set the RGB values to 0,0,0 and 255,255,255, figuring that I don't want to compress image data any further than necessary; as my white and black points are already set conservatively.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Jim

Peter,
    No, you should be using RGB

Yes, I always use RGB.

But see:

Even in RGB mode, it seems one must still pick one of the output profiles.

hi again Cezanners,
    my scanner did not have mounting film. By placing the film on the actual bed surrounded by a black windowed cardboard and the acrylic piece to flat the film plus film emulsion down is it a good method?

Gigi

So you don't have what Screen calls a "hold down tray"? This is an acrylic sheet with a fine anti-Newton texture on one side. You can try your method, but you might get Newton's rings. If so, go to a frame shop and ask for a sheet of anti-glare acrylic glazing, a fancy word for the clear protective sheet of glass or plastic used in windows and picture frames. Anti-glare will have a texture on one (or more) sides. Never use this to actually frame a photograph, as you'll lose sharpness and contrast, but it works well in the application in question. Once you have it, test to make sure that the pattern doesn't show through. (It should be ok.) It is inexpensive.

If that is not satisfactory, then you could order P99 acrylic from a plastics store, get a real hold down plate from Screen ($$$), or wet mount, using mylar, Kami.... I've tested the latter, and I saw no increase in quality with a Cezanne.

The Cezanne has a very good lens and focus system. It appears to me, and supported by other users here, that if the negative/positive lays flat w/o assistance, that scanning large format sheet film at normal settings (roughly 2000 spi or below) is effective with almost "any" of the mounting methods.

When I scan 8x10 and the negative is clean w/o scratches, I can just use 3M painters tape to pull the film flat from the corners. If I need help with scratches, etc. wet mounting with acrylic does a great job of minimizing the amount of scan cleanup in PS>

However with 35mm and, to a certain degree, medium format, much more effort is required. Here a pristine hold down plate or screen holder makes a noticable difference.

I scan my 8x10 at 1000 spi, and 4x5 at 2000 spi for almost all uses, so the scanner is very forgiving of mounting technique.

bob

bob

Hi People,

this is the my way to scan the film > Is it correct?

http://www.gigicifali.com/2.JPG

thank you