Thread: Heidelberg drum scanner aperture control

Heidelberg drum scanner aperture control

I've recently acquired the Heidelberg 7100, and I have a question about adjusting the aperture in the new color software. Can you provide guidance on determining the appropriate aperture value based on different factors? I would appreciate your assistance in understanding this aspect.

Re: Heidelberg drum scanner aperture control

May I suggest you join the Scan Hi End group and pose your question there. There are certainly still many drum scanner users here on LFPF but your likely to find you get a response more quickly there, along with access to a library of reference materials the group has archived. Karl Hudson of Hudson Graphik, who offers services to maintain and repair Heidleberg scanners, is an active member of the Scan Hi End group and also posts here from time to time.

scanhi-end.groups.io

Hi,
    On my Newcolor 7000 software there is a slider in the Tango window where you initiate the drum, do the prescan and scanning function. The slider is on the left just above the drum window and is obvious with a closed aperture at the left end and an open aperture on the right.
    Thad Gerheim

Feel free to experiment because only you can tell what looks optimal \ best to you in a particular scan.
    I would keep it (the aperture slider in NewColor) as-is at its default middle point.
    At the default setting of the slider, NewColor sets the actual aperture size based on chosen scanning resolution (scale). The dependency is not linear and aimed at optimizing the perceived image quality (noise, sharpness, smoothness, etc) at that resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    Feel free to experiment because only you can tell what looks optimal \ best to you in a particular scan.
    I would keep it (the aperture slider in NewColor) as-is at its default middle point.
    At the default setting of the slider, NewColor sets the actual aperture size based on chosen scanning resolution (scale). The dependency is not linear and aimed at optimizing the perceived image quality (noise, sharpness, smoothness, etc) at that resolution.
    Is the aperture value specific to each film, or does it vary based on resolution?

With NewColor the default aperture is a function of Scale (resolution) and nothing else.