Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from South Africa

Hi from South Africa

I used to love working on 4X5 and purchased my first, a Linhof Super Technica, when I was 18. Spent many years in pro photolabs and when that died off due to digital became a commercial photographer. Now I shoot only digital but have really missed the deliberate way of working on view cameras. I am waiting for the delivery of a Cambo that I am planning on using with a Leaf Aptus75.

I have not used a view camera in a decade and fear I will be very rusty. I am not up to date with new developments in terms of lenses and so on. I hope to learn a lot and perhaps in time I will be able to add some value to the forum.

My big love is landscape and still life. No commercial applications of these fields, purely for the love of it. In March I am going to Lesotho for a week and hope to use the Cambo

Thank you all

Re: Hi from South Africa

Hello Martin,
    And here i was beginning to think i was the lone SA lad on this forum, mind you if i look around a bit i'm sure there has to be a couple more somewhere? Welcome here and good luck with the cambo in Lesotho, that place can be very windy!
    Cheers

Eugene

P.S. i'm a landscape nut...

Oh, and I've heard from friends who have visited or lived in South Africa that your country has spectacular landscapes to photograph!

It's great to follow one's love.

Welcome.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Ons is oral....
    I try to get back once a year to shoot - simply a fabulous place for LF landscape shooting.

Welcome to the forum Martin! I have a friend who is from Johannesburg and now teaches at Florida State University here in Tallahassee. Get that Cambo out and start ridding it of the rust!

Best,
    Darr

Welcome-About to take a 3 week trip to Southern Africa. Any spots in Capetown Or Jburg off the tourist beat for landscapes etc.? Again welcome !

Welcome to the LF Forum, Martin.

Thank you everyone for the welcome.

Terry there are loads of places off the tourist traps. If you would like to contact me please feel free to do so. I am always prepared to help visiting photographers. There are a few do's and dont's.

Welcome from Vancouver in the Canadian Rockies, Martin; good to have you here.

Hallo aan die valies !!

For quite a few years I thought that I was the only one living in South Africa to follow the forum - not so anymore I'm glad to hear ! I don't know how things in Jo'burg are but down in Cape Town there is basically one supplier for all things photographic in the line of film, chemistry etc ( Orms in the City ) which is a bit limiting but luckily the missus travels to the UK a lot.

I started out in LF in the UK doing only B&W and interesstingly enough I found shooting in the UK compared the South Africa very different. Over here the light seems so harsh and contrast very high ( in general ). I still need to adapt esp. when taking landscape shots. On the other hand, the landscape itself has much much more variation .

Good to here from you - I am sure you will find the forum filled with valuable information. It basically taught me LF!

Cheers
    Dawid