Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New deepest black

Re: New deepest black

Wow. This stuff would bring theater to a whole new level. People would float.

Although I don't want to think about how many actor casualties there might be during blackouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Purdum View Post
    I don't suppose it competes with nanotubes, but the ash from burning acetylene with no added oxygen sure is black.

The comment about roughness reminds me of the first time I ever thought of a rough surface being essential to fullest color (or lack thereof). In Sicily there is a common roadside weed which produces flowers of an amazing redness.
    Actually, nanotube-relatives buckyballs and other fullerenes were first found in soot from a candle, so fuel-rich burning acetylene will be pretty darn black.

The more roughness, the greater the surface area, and thus the greater the color saturation. Likewise for deeper black; in the limit of a truly fractal roughness, the surface would have infinite surface area and thus reflect no light at all.
    Last edited by John Schneider; 22-Feb-2008 at 09:29. Reason: spelling
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Hi,

when I built for myself a long tube to mount some longer repro lenses .. to be used on a SL66 I found that the deepest black is delivered by some baffles in series that prevent any reflections from the wall surface .. this allowed to have a very deep black.. blacker possibly than some of commercial lens designs.

Thus .. if you take a closed box .. like when you buy shoes ...and make a hole into that .. say of 1 inch diameter .. then look at that hole and you will see the deepest black possible .. excuse my silly excursion !!

Joerg

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

When I dismantled one of my very old lenses to clean the glass, I discovered that the inside of the barrel was blackened with soot. Not only soot, but a nasty sticky mess of soot and tallow - from a tallow candle burning in not much air.

In the end I cleaned it all out, and replaced the blackening with soot from a slightly "cleaner" modern candle.

I'm surprised the article didn't refer to black body radiation. Color temperature, as measured on the Kelvin scale is linked to the radiation of the black body. This idea was taught to me in color class fifteen years ago.

Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body

G.A.

Hopelessly Lost

My black goes to 11.

Michael E. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    My black goes to 11.
    Thank you, Hollis. I was afraid my post would go unnoticed.

Has no one here ever been in a mine and the lights go out? Now that friends, is a deep black (in more ways than one!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hopelessly Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gordon View Post
    Thank you, Hollis. I was afraid my post would go unnoticed.
    Hey, I do what I can...

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg Krusche View Post
    .. if you take a closed box .. like when you buy shoes ...and make a hole into that .. say of 1 inch diameter .. then look at that hole and you will see the deepest black possible .. excuse my silly excursion ...Joerg
    Not silly at all. Zeiss, if I recall, designed pretty much a fancy version of your shoe box to get a deep black for lab purposes. They mounted a shiny black inverted cone inside a glorified version of your shoe box hole and thus obtained a very dark spot.

C