Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yosemite at the end of May?

Yosemite at the end of May?

Hey everybody...

For many, many years I've wanted to go to Yosemite and the High Sierras to photograph. Ever since I saw Ansel's wonderful photographs of the High Sierra I've been inexplicably drawn to this place even though I've never been anywhere near the area.

For the past number of years either time or money has been an issue and my plans were thwarted. Indeed, with nursing school and now a full time job in nursing even getting out with my 5x7 camera locally has been a real chore...for many months it has sat unused. This year, thanks to a great new career money is more abundant and I have about two weeks of vacation that I can take at the end of May. Out of all the places I think I would like to go Yosemite ranks high on the list..primarily because I want to go and take what I hope will be wonderful photographs. I'm planning this to be primarily a photographic excursion, a chance for me to reconnect with my photography....it's almost the journey to "Mecca."

I'm sure I'll get all sorts of differing opinions but I'd like to hear about your experiences of Yosemite and the Sierras? Sublime? Overrated? Do you think the end of May is an ideal time to visit?

Thanks so much for your input!

Christian

Eric Biggerstaff

Re: Yosemite at the end of May?

Christian,

If Yosemite is a place you have always dreamed of going, then go! Don't let any opinion sway you away from it. I think anytime of year is great, all that is required is a feeling of excitement being there and the pictures will come to you no matter when you are in the park.

Sure, there are times of the year when crowds will be less or the clouds more abundent or the falls flowing more, but it really doesn't matter. Just make plans and go.

I am sure you will have a great time, I always do!

Make sure to stop by the Ansel Adams gallery, take plenty of film and have fun.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I went with friends two years ago and we had a wonderful time. We went at the end of April and the weather was terrible; snow rain and constant mist, only one day of the five was clear. Even so, all of us had a wonderful time. That was my first visit to a national park, and I am still kicking myself for not having made more time earier in my life to see such awesome wonders. I hope to make up for lost time in the future!

The weather at the end of May should be much better than when we were there, but I think it will be too early to camp in the high country, which is where I will go the next time I visit. The valley is beautiful, but even that early it was crowded. Any later in the year and I think the crowds would definately have reduced my enjoyment.

Get a good guide book, make reservations as early as possible, and take lots of film. PM me, I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

I'll be there in mid may and i strongly recommend getting your accomodations taken care of asap. You won't be able to reserve a campsite in the park as they get taken up within minutes of reservation openings. There are first come sites i believe but that may be hit or miss. Tioga pass opens late may sometimes and the eastern sierras are spectacular. Kings canyon and Sequoia are close too.

Scenery-wise, it should be beautiful. The waterfalls will be full, the area fully green. As long as you are mentally prepared for some crowds, you should have a great time. It is not as crowded as mid summer, but it isn't quiet either. You can hike anywhere off the main areas and you can find peace and quiet. It should also be fairly peaceful early in the morning. There are not that many early risers. If you really want to go there and the timing fits your schedule, go for it and enjoy. You will be very inspired to shoot a lot. It is an incredible place. Grand landscapes and wonderful intimate opportunities.

Saratoga, CA

May is an excellent time to go to Yosemite, everything green, fresh looking and the falls are at their peak. Before you go, I would suggest that you get Michael Frye’s book (http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-.../dp/1930238002) it is written by a photographer for photographers.

Have fun!
    Gale

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    May is an excellent time to go to Yosemite, everything green, fresh looking and the falls are at their peak. Before you go, I would suggest that you get Michael Frye’s book (http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-.../dp/1930238002) it is written by a photographer for photographers.

Have fun!
    Gale
    I second Frye's book, very helpful.

Christian,
    Yosemite is the closest I have ever come to spending time in a true temple. If your experience approaches mine then you will have fulfilled your ambition. Best wishes.

Dave Karp

Any time is a great time to go to Yosemite.

If you have trouble finding accommodations in the park, keep trying. People change plans and let go of their reservations. You just have to keep calling. Hopefully, you will be lucky and call right after someone backed out.

Unless you have specific photographic goals, Yosemite Valley is good any time of year. The only problem with going in May is that you will be most likely limited to the Yosemite Valley area, though you could spend years photographing there. The Yosemite high country and the Tioga Pass crossing to the Eastern Sierra is usually only accessible from late spring/early summer until some time in November unless you want to ski in. The east side of the Sierra is good year round, with excellent access to wonderful photographic opportunities. If you want to go backpacking or mule packing into the High Sierra backcountry, I'd aim for either July or September.

The Sierra Nevada in general is truly a photographer's playground, though serious research in advance will reap considerable rewards. Let me know if you have any questions. Have fun!