Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yosemite at the end of May?

Re: Yosemite at the end of May?

Since moving to Northern Nevada from Italy, I've been to the greater Yosemite area 3 times. My first time in July of last year was a fluke but I took that time to scout out the area. My second time (October), I went there with the purpose to photograph as much as I could in 3 days. For that trip, I went to Mono Lake, Lundy Lake, Bodie, Twin Lakes and Yosemite Valley. My most recent trip was in early January for some snow shots. Spring time should be a great time. Most of the snow has melted off, the waterfalls are turned on, it's green and Tioga Pass should be open so you can explore both sides of the park. I have my homepage attached to my profile. Take a look for ideas on what to shoot and where to go. The area from Bridgeport to the Bishop area and beyond is so photogenic that you'll wish you had a year to be there. This March and April, I am planning trips to Manzanar, Mono Lake, and Devil's Postpile region to photograph for my current photography class. I hope you have fun with your shoot. I wish I could join you there.

God Bless,
    David

If you can't get a place to stay in the valley, El Portal (on the west entrance, hwy 140) In any case, check with the registration at the Yosemite Inn or Curry Village in the morning first thing. They'll know if they've had any cancellations and you can often get a place in the valley that way.

Definitely dress for changeable weather. You can have rain, snow and sunshine at any time in the Sierras. The only bad time I've ever had there was during a torrential rain that just didn't stop...but that was March during an El Nino year.

The great part about Yosemite is that you can take a short hike away from the crowds and have the entire area to yourself. Have fun!!!

S

UPDATE: Well, reservations have been made....I'll be staying in one of the tent cabins at Curry Village. Have never really "roughed" it like this before but as long as I don't freeze my buttocks off or get ravaged by a bear in the middle of the night I think it will be a fun experience.

I'm flying into Fresno on the 27th and driving up that same day....returning home on June 3. I'm really, really hoping that the Tioga Pass is open so I can get to Tuolumne Meadows and Lee Vining to shoot Mono Lake. If the pass is indeed open I plan on staying four days in the Valley/Tuolumne and then another few days in Lee Vining/Mono Lake, etc. If the pass is closed I guess I'll just spend the entire time in the valley...I thought about driving over to Lee Vining via the southern route but that means at least a 6 hour drive. I'm sure it is worth it but that's a lot of driving and I would have to drive all the way back to Fresno at the end for the return flight.

Thanks to all of you for the advice and well wishes...I'll be checking this thread again for any additional info that comes along.

Christian

The pizza patio at Curry is very good, as is the pizza at Degnan's---I hope you like pizza! The Maytag blue cheese cheese burgers at the Ahwanee are also very tasty! With all those calories to burn you won't have to worry about keeping warm
    One nice thing about Curry is that you'll be right next door to Happy Isles (always good light at Happy Isles) and the trail head for Vernal and Nevada Falls. have a great trip!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White