Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture

Let me start with a few bits of info:
    - I do not shoot any color film
    - I will be scanning b&w prints not negatives for web presentation
    - I am running a powerbook g4 with 1.5 gigs of ram

So I am looking for some software that will allow me to import 8x10
    prints from my Epson scanner. I will need to make minor adjustments
    to the scan.

I am sure I am missing a few other bits of info but I think this is the gist of it.

Any recommendations?

Re: Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture

I have both programs 'cause I didn't know which would end up an the industry standard, and frankly, I don't use either. I find Adobe Bridge, part of Photoshop, much easier.

If you want something simple, and use a Macintosh, get iPhoto. It's a great little program. If you use the evil empires computers, simply get the inexpensive Photoshop Elements in it news version.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

lightroom is invaluable as a wedding photographer ...

I love Aperture bit gave up on it. t has a file size limitation that precludes me using it for most of my scanned images. Now that I have gotten used to Lightroom I find it is ok. Apple, which like many others is a company I love to hate, got it very wrong when they made the assumption that Aperture would only be of interest/value to those shooting digital and thus not producing large files.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    I love Aperture bit gave up on it. t has a file size limitation that precludes me using it for most of my scanned images. Now that I have gotten used to Lightroom I find it is ok. Apple, which like many others is a company I love to hate, got it very wrong when they made the assumption that Aperture would only be of interest/value to those shooting digital and thus not producing large files.
    Lightroom has a similar limitation. It won't catalog files larger than 10,000 pixels on any dimension. I end up making two versions of a file -- the full-res scan, and a reduced-size version that Lightroom can process, just so I can keep track of where things are on my hard drive.

Neither Aperture nor Lightroom are easy on computer resources. Lightroom runs acceptably fast on my 1Ghz Powerbook G4 with 2GB of RAM, but I keep its database pruned and don't expect it to make lightning-fast changes in the "Develop" module. I certainly wouldn't try to edit large format scans in Lightroom....you'll grow old and die watching spinning beachballs. Aperture won't even *run* on my Powerbook -- the machine is below Aperture's published minimum specs.

At what resolution are you scanning these 8x10 prints? If you just want an app to catalog your folders of images and open them in PS, Adobe Bridge might be the best solution.
    Last edited by bsimison; 26-Jan-2008 at 14:57. Reason: I'm running off at the mouth...too much coffee. :-)

You might be better off asking this question on a different forum, since many of us deal with robust adjustments to a small collection of large files which come from scanned negatives and slides - the opposite of what you intend to do: minor adjustments to many of small files which come from scanned b&w prints.

Just waiting to be developed..

I like Aperture. It doe what i need but its a resource hog.
    When it generates the thumbnail images, i go for dinner.
    I have the same issue but to a lesser extent with lightroom.

When i need to get something done quickly, i reach for lightroom.
    I do my quick edit and the files out. When im done and ready to archive them they go into aperture.
    If apple and adobe could get together, they could make a really great product.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

How about Photoshop?

I've tried both Aperture and Lightroom and wonder why anyone would want them if they already have Photoshop or could buy Photoshop. Sooner or later you'll want the additional and seemingly unlimited capabilities available in PS.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    How about Photoshop?

I've tried both Aperture and Lightroom and wonder why anyone would want them if they already have Photoshop or could buy Photoshop.
    For selecting, editing, keywording, creating web galleries, and printing of dozens or even hundreds of photos from a shoot, you need something like Lightroom or Aperture. Bridge gets close, but doesn't offer the detailed controls of either.

Lightroom works well for my stock catalog and general Library of images. I use it to post-process images created from my digital cameras. For this it does an exceptional job. It lets me rename files, batch change metadata, add keywords, create and export JPEGs from RAW into an upload folder that I can then quickly add to my online stock catalog, automatically adding watermarks if I want, and some correcting/retouching. For all of this it saves me a tremendous amount of time. But for 4x5" work from scans, I use the *new traditional* way of print prepping through scanning, SilverFast AI Studio, PS, etc. I will then add a small TIFF file to my Lightroom Library for reference only. Before Lightroom I was using NSCS Pro for cataloging which seems a bit archaic now.

A good forum for Lightroom. Adobe has now began a Lightroom Wiki site. Sorry, but I can't help you with Aperture.

Kind Regards,
    Darr