Thread: bellows hardware on Toyo Omega 45C

bellows hardware on Toyo Omega 45C

Hello,

I recently acquired a Toyo Omega 45C from a co-worker. The bellows which is on the camera has a large number of pinhole leaks in the corners. I am planning on using black acrylic paint to patch the leaks. In the event this is not successful, I ordered a replacement bellows which lacks the hardware to attach the bellows to the camera. The seller told me it is possible to remove the hardware and attach it to the new bellows.

Has anyone here been successful in doing this? I looked at the hardware and it is held on by small Phillips screws. When I got the new bellows, I did not see screw holes. My gut tells me the hardware is initially attached by glue and the screws are self tapping and are used for a better hold.

If anyone here can offer guidance on attaching the hardware to the new bellows, I will appreciate it.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Navy Moose

Re: bellows hardware on Toyo Omega 45C

Unless your Toyo Omega 45C is substantially different than the current Toyo models, the "hardware" (slider bars at the top and bottom) is part of the front and rear standards, not part of the bellows.

I just checked the bellows after disconnecting the bellows from both halves, and the hardware, is what the sliders lock into. The camera is approximately 20 years old, if this helps.

Thank you for getting back to me.

I think what he is referring to is the bellows frames. I purchased a new bellows from one of the ebay companies for my Toyo and used the frames from the old ones to finish the job.

Get yourself a jewelers philips screwdriver and a flat-bottomed tray to work over. Otherwise you will lose some tiny screws, in which case you will also need your truck-driving vocabulary.

On the front and rear of your bellows assembly there are metal or plastic (depending on the model) square frames attached with 12 small screws on each side. These require the aforementioned philips screwdriver to remove and replace. After removing all the screws from one side, peel the bellows off of the frame. It was attached by some sort of glue. Probably paper glue. On the inside of first bellows fold there is a metal square that the screws screwed into. Don't throw that away with the bellows or YOU'RE screwed.

With a mild cleanser remove as much of the old glue as you can from the frame. The metal square from the inside should not have any glue on it. Now comes the fun part.

They probably didn't provide pilot holes for the screws in your new bellows. So you need to make them WITHOUT adding unwanted pilot holes where they don't belong. I used a carpet needle, poking from the inside out rather than pointing the needle toward the bellows folds.

Put a thin layer of Elmer's glue onto the frame. Work the metal square into the first fold and screw everything back together. Repeat the torture for the second side. Let the finished bellows sit for 24 hours to let the glue dry then put them on your camera.

Have fun.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Michael,

That is exactly the information I am looking for. I've got the tray and jewelers screwdrivers. I also have Elmer's glue here as well. I don't have a carpet needle, all I have is the small pins you find on dress shirts.

Would you recommend applying a thin coat of light mineral oil to the new bellows once it is mounted on the camera?

Thank you!

Navy Moose

I didn't. Was I supposed to? It seems great as it is. I'll let somebody else chime in on that one.

And you're most welcome. Careful punching those holes!!!! You don't want to give the word "pinholes" a literal meaning to your new bellows.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!