Thread: Micromega Critical Focuser

Micromega Critical Focuser

Some of you may remember my post from several days ago. I am searching for a ne w focuser. The Peak Critical Focuser and the model one step down were both reco mmended as great. There is currently a focuser called the Micromega Critical Fo cuser for sale on E-bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item= 1202421917). It apparently was made for Omega in the mid 80's. It looks suspic iouly like the Peak Critical Focuser. I have looked through several cataloges a nd have not found it. Is it possibly an earlier version of the Peak? Anyone kn ow anything about it ? Thanks

This is a similar to a model I used for a number of years, except that the eyepiece appears to swivel on its mounting arm, whereas mine was fixed. It was a good tool, particularly with older technology films. With chromogenic or tabular grain films, it becomes more difficult to focus, I suspect, with any magnifier. How it compares with others in today's market or what would be a reasonable price, I couldn't say.

I'd agree with the seller that it's by far the best critical focuser, at least o f the assortment of 'em I've used. I believe the Peak is identical, $219 at B&H.

I've found the tilting eyepiece helpful.

I have used the omega critical focuser for years and it is by far the best. It also allows you to check focus and sharpness from edge to edge on your easel. That is why it rotates.

I have been using Micromega Critical Focuser(labeled Omega Division of Berkey Marketing, Made in Japan) for approximately 30 years. Additional label "Prof.F.Koana" Have used others, but in my experience, Micromega is the best! Make certain optics and mirror are not scratched. Alex