Thread: What blades for Fletcher 2100?

What blades for Fletcher 2100?

My used but pristine Fletcher 2100 mat cutter is on the way. I will need blades for the cutter and looking at what is available I see there are a few to choose from. One of the blades is just listed as "Mat Cutting". The others are Super Keen .012" and Super Keen .015". I know that the last two are for cutting mat board of different thickness, the .015 for heavier 8 ply and the .012 for 4 ply. Will I need the "Mat Cutting" blade for making the beveled window cut? What is that blade for?

http://framingsupplies.com/Fletcher/Fletcher2100.htm

The link is to a page showing the options available, but I can't find a description of what the blades are used for.

Thanks,

Ben

Re: What blades for Fletcher 2100?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hopson View Post
    My used but pristine Fletcher 2100 mat cutter is on the way. I will need blades for the cutter and looking at what is available I see there are a few to choose from. One of the blades is just listed as "Mat Cutting". The others are Super Keen .012" and Super Keen .015". I know that the last two are for cutting mat board of different thickness, the .015 for heavier 8 ply and the .012 for 4 ply. Will I need the "Mat Cutting" blade for making the beveled window cut? What is that blade for?

http://framingsupplies.com/Fletcher/Fletcher2100.htm

The link is to a page showing the options available, but I can't find a description of what the blades are used for.

Thanks,

Ben
    Ben,

I have been using a Fletcher 2100 for 18 years now. It's a great mat cutter and will last a lifetime. I have been using .012 blades. I happen to use C&H blades. They are called 1200SE blades. You can get .012 blades in two "flavors" - double edge and single edge. The double edge blades let you use each end for a few cuts whereas the single edge blade is only used at one end and then you toss it. The reason I use the single edge blade is basically it helps prevent hooked corners as it tend to be a little more rigid. But many people use the double edge blades with no problem. The .015 blades are for 8 ply mats. I pay about $12 /box for the blades I use from United Maunfacturing Supplies out of New York ( I think that the right name). From the link you provided, I am not sure what the difference is among the different items. You could try the different blades and see which ones you prefer. Lastly, you should only use a blade for about two at most three mats as they (believe it or not) get dull very quickly and will leave you with a ragged edge pretty quickly. Blades are much cheaper than mat boards ($.15 vs $6). Hope this helps. Jim

Re: What blades for Fletcher 2100?

Thanks Jim. I will look into the single edge blades. I would definitely like to avoid hooked corners. I was unaware that other blades such as the C&H blades could be used in the Fletcher. I do not have the mat cutter yet. It is being shipped now. Being new to mat cutting I have much to learn.

Ben