Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traveling through northern Georgia (the state)

David Vickery

Re: Traveling through northern Georgia (the state)

The best time to drive through the Atlanta region is about 3:00am on Sunday morning! The entire area is so densely populated and everything is either modernized, commercialized or not worth the effort. The best thing to do is to avoid Atlanta completely if you can. Well, I guess it isn't all that bad, there is lots to do in Atlanta if you have the time. But I would really suggest taking Bill's advice regarding the "Recent Unpleasantness" or save your time for the coastal region and stop off in some of the small towns near the coast--the ones that are well away from the larger towns.
    Sudek ambled across my mind one day and took his picture. Only he knows where it is.
    David Vickery

If you want to go to Macon, get off of 85 at Columbus and take US80 to Macon. It will avoid Atlanta and be a much shorter trip, although not as nice a road as the Interstate. Leaving, there are ways across country to Augusta, but you would probably best go north on I-75 and take the bypass to i-285, then I-20 to Augusta.

In Macon, see The Hay House, Rose Hill Cemetery has many historic folks buried there, including Dwayne Allman, there are anti-bellum houses along College Street nearby. This area is just north of downtown.
    juan

Try the Jarrel Plantation near Macon.
    http://www.gastateparks.org/net/go/p...D=43&s=0.0.1.5

Georgia---it's not just a state: it's an adventure!
    I spent the longest year of my life during two months at Ft Gordon Theres plenty to see and plenty thats pretty hard to even imagine. If you can, get a copy of a military topo map of the area. It was amazing how many relics of towns, churches, cemetaries etc... that once were in Georgia, but are now overgrown ruins---if anything is left of them at all.
    If I ever get back there, I want to check out Andalusia---Flannery O Connor's preserved farm---SW of Atlanta IIRC.
    Nassssty snakes, however!
    Happy Hour at the Augusta Holiday Inn is (was?) quite nice.
    "Little Cheryl" who danced "exotically" at The Discoteque on Broad St. (IIRC) was quite a number back in those days but I'm certain the gravity has taen it's toll on her she folowed the "snake woman" (there's those snakes again!) who danced with a boa constrictor---there was always a dude in a yellow shirt with News Flash printed on it, who sat up in front and when the "snake woman" would let her boa flop on him he's scream and run for the door knock over chairs, people, etc...he must have been part of the act.

Presweetened iced tea at Shoney's, my first Krispy Kreme doughnut

I had the back window of my rented blue Ford Tempo blown out (shotgun, I think) on tobacco road my first week in town. I sped to the nearest gas station, called the troopers and that was the first time I ever saw a cop in a ranger hat (with mirrored snglasses to boot!) I was sitting the ford, still shaken from the experience and covered with shattered auto glass when he came up and asked
    "Whatsa matta, bwoy?"
    It struck me so funny I had a hard time to keep from laughing---like duhhh theres a big hole where the rear window was and I'm covered in broken glass.

My advice: stay away from snakes, remember that southern cops, unlike Andy Griffith, don't have much of a sense of humor, and oh yeah---have a memorable trip!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Oh, and let's not forget the polo matches at Aiken, SC!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Doug Dolde

How about doing a shoot of a KKK meeting? Black and white film would be my choice for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    How about doing a shoot of a KKK meeting? Black and white film would be my choice for this.
    Yuk. Yuk.

Don Bryant