Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Real Rustic Adobe Lodging in New Mexico

Re: Real Rustic Adobe Lodging in New Mexico

Laughing Horse Inn:

http://www.laughinghorseinn.com/index.html

The pictures and description don't begin to describe its "quirkiness." My father, a buttoned down business type at the time, almost walked out when he saw the accommodation's I'd made for him there. My mother, a more free-spirited 60's type, loved it.

Frank,

In Taos, the La Fonda Hotel in the historic plaza is a very old established hotel with adobe history in abundance. The hotel is a museum in itself. I would suggest Taos over Santa Fe if you looking for authenticity & rustic.

Raymond in Vail

There is a La Fonda Hotel on the plaza in Santa Fe. Is there also one in Taos?

The Galisteo Inn in Galisteo might be worth considering. You might also see if there is lodging in Dixon which is halfway between SF and Taos.

Chaco is worth visiting but to stay there you have to camp. The closest town with any decent lodging is Grants which is too far for an in and out one day session at Chaco.

Chama has the old narrow guage train yard and depot. It has been cleaned up a little from a few years ago and access in the engine shop is restricted unles you can get special permission. The interesting lodging in Chame is old cabins along the river on the southside of town.

Gallup probably has some interesting lodging. There is an old hotel that used to be home to the movie stars coming in to film the westerns. There is some red rock country around Gallup if you hit the ligth right. Gallup itself can be a tough town.. But from Gallup it is ony about 2 hours to Canyon de Chelly.

steve simmons

I'm a bit out of date but there used to be some lovely B&Bs in Taos that just reeked of NM atmosphere. There must be a web site for them...

Russ

There is a LaFonda hotel in Taos (but who knew)...Taos would be one of my first picks for funkie. Maybe try the Mabel Dodge Luhan House, a B&B, since that is where many of the greats were introduced to each other - If I recall correctly, that's where Adams met Paul Strand.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Doug Dolde

It would almost be worth a trip to NM to get some of that real New Mexican cuisine.

Tex-Mex doesn't come close.

Here is a list of Taos-based B&Bs:

http://www.taos-bandb-inns.com/taos_lodging.php

I stayed at the Stewart House. I don't think it's quite what you're looking for but it isn't kitschy, has great food and is comfortable. Another interesting place to stay that I visited was at the Dobson House. It is also not quite what you're looking for and it sounded like their rates were up there but it is interesting. Sorry I don't know about any authentic places although I'd be interested. I love New Mexico.

Attn: Steve--Yes, there is a La Fonda in both Taos & Santa Fe. Do not know their relationship, however, over the years I have had contact with both, and I think the one in Taos is much more "rustic" & interesting, historically.

In the late '70's, early 80's, I did a portrait of the proprietor's mother, a elderly Greek woman, who always sat in the lobby---- Her name perhaps was/is Madame Karavas (sp?). She was a most interesting woman who dressed very uniquely--part Euro/part Indian/western, and she spent her days in the lobby addressing guests. Hotel guests expected to see her, and she had a sharp mind.

Taos of course has a long history of artistic connections---The Taos Art Colony of Blumenschein, DH Lawrence & Frieda, Mabel Dodge Luhan, Laura Giplin, Dennis Hopper--and on. The La Fonda lobby has a very unique collection of art.

Raymond, In Vail