Thread: Horseman Lens Boards

Horseman Lens Boards

Ok, the likely obvious, near-really stupid question. I'm looking to get a 8x8 cm one for a Copal #0 shutter, for a 150mm lens, and noticed there are three versions available, a flat one, a slight extended one and a really extended one. Aside from the obvious difference of moving the lens forward (and requiring the rear group fit in the recessed area for the extreme extended one), what are the advantages between them?
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Re: Horseman Lens Boards

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Knowles View Post
    ...what are the advantages between them?
    For a 150mm lens, no advantage to the extended boards. In fact, they have disadvantages such as (in addition to the one you noted) moving the lens' nodal point forward of the center tilt pivot.

I'm unaware of any Horseman camera (980, VH, VH-R, HD, FA) that can't readily focus a 150mm lens from infinity to fairly close on a flat board. Unless you want to do 1:1 with it, get a flat board.

Actually, the reason for the slightly extended board is to add a little clearance between the aperature control lever and the latch for the lensboard. It does indeed make for easier operation. In practice you`ll see no difference in focusing, movements, etc. The longer extended board, about 25mm?, is for telephoto lenses, which are indeed a bit awkward. I use that board for a 240mm Apo-Artar, and it works well, plus the extra bit of extension is sometimes helpful on that camera. Also there is a longer board, 85mm?, I`d have to go measure it for sure, that is intended for a 300mm Apo-Ronar. Not the most convienient set-up, but it will allow limited use of that lens on the Horseman. Oops, forgot to mention that I`m using these on an FA, and have no expirience with the others.

Thanks for the responses. There are four 8x8 cm lensboards for the HD, flat, slight, moderate, and long (65mm) extension - B&H's Website. The flat is in stock and the rest availalble on order. The two I have - one for Copal #0 and #1 shutters - are both slightly extended, but they're currently on lenses (Schneider 120mm Super-Symmar HM and 210mm Symmar-S), and I wanted one for the Schneider Symmar-S 150mm lens.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    Actually, the reason for the slightly extended board is to add a little clearance between the aperature control lever and the latch for the lensboard. It does indeed make for easier operation...
    I have one of those for Copal 1, but use only flat boards for 75 - 200mm lenses in Copal 0. Perhaps my never having trouble operating the lensboard latch with flat boards on a VH and FA is a result of thin fingers.

Sal, the latch isn`t the problem per se. The aperature control tab runs into it because the clearance is just a wee bit too tight. Try your #1 copal on a flat board, and you`ll see what I mean. I`ve also taken a nail file or bit of sandpaper to the top/rear side of the tab on some lenses for a little more room.

Sal, the latch isn`t the problem per se. The aperature control tab runs into it because the clearance is just a wee bit too tight. Try your #1 copal on a flat board, and you`ll see what I mean. I`ve also taken a nail file or bit of sandpaper to the top/rear side of the tab on some lenses for a little more room.
    Yes, that's why I use the slightly extended board for any lens in a Copal 1. I've never had the the aperture control tab run into the latch with a modern Copal 0 on flat board.

Sal, That`s interesting. I`ve had a couple of the #0 shutters that needed a slight amount of work on the tab for smoother operation. I wonder if they *tweaked* the later production cameras to eliminate that? My camera is the first of the second version of the FA, I bought it new, umm...maybe twenty years ago? The first version had no safety latch on the locking lever for the back, and the back could all too easily fall off at inconvienient times!

...My camera is the first of the second version of the FA...
    My FA was purchased new just over two years ago, but my VH (also bought new) is around ten years old.

My 150mm Fuji works well on the flat board; the so called "Lens Panel drilled for #0"