Page 58 of 86 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocks and stones

Re: Rocks and stones

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I didn't see the tunnel until I clicked for the larger view.

It looks like a great distance to the light at the other end.

I might explore it, but only after checking the local tide tables!

The tunnel is safe for exploration, providing the tide is low and there is no swell. The waves roll by creating a surf favoured among the board riders. Some day I will attempt to take interior shots of the cave when the conditions are right and the sky is overcast.

Bulldozer Blade, August 2014
    Tachihara Field Camera, 200mm Nikkor M
    4x5 TMY, D-23
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 15-Apr-2018 at 09:34.

4x5 TMY, D-23
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 15-Apr-2018 at 09:34.

I like the first one better. My reasoning would involve mumbo jumbo talk.

But your mumbo jumbo is very good mumbo jumbo

Perhaps the second one is too abstract, with a poor sense of scale.

I like the second one, its more interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

4x5 TMY, D-23
    Cool image, Ken! Great patterns, textures and tones.

Is this rocks or stones?

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Goldman View Post
    Is this rocks or stones?
    Harley, I didn't know where else to put it. We don't have a thread on bulldozers.

In my defense... there are some very small rocks on the lower right

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sommer View Post
    I like the second one, its more interesting to me.
    rendition of first on my screen has a neat silver too it that feels like metal, otherwise it looks like a wall and not a blade and seems kind of run of the mill. The second one is more interesting in terms of composition, good for the curious types like me who enjoy looking around and aren't too upset if we don't know what it is. I also like the intersecting lines vs the continuous lines of the first one.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

"A neat silver too it" it's a celebration of metal and is quite abstract and open to varied interpretation. The continuous lines make it seem simpler, but it at the same time increases our imagination about what we see. I'll create some context around my imagination because I see some of these shapes and compositions when I'm shooting. It mostly abstracts to a landscape to me. The top third is a dusk sky, a gradient makes it so. Add some dust spots back in and it's a starry sky. The middle is the water or snow or rock, and it's divided simply for abstract effect for a mumbo jumbo reason Ken is keeping quiet about. The bottom blade with the rivets is rock. Rock quarried by men drilling a series of holes and breaking the rock. Rock in architecture sits atop the earth or other rocks, which it does in this photo. I see it my local breakwater land/oceanscapes. Other people might think of building a pyramid or skyscraper. There's some sort of harmony in the tones which ties it together fairly smoothly.

These photos of mine are the subject matter I use to come to this abstraction.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13759696@N02/7308686332 - quarried rock. https://www.flickr.com/photos/137596...57631531250923

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13759696@N02/9488806803 rock sitting on the earth

Bisecting a composition just for the hell of it. https://www.flickr.com/photos/13759696@N02/9318872306

Earth, man-made rock shapes, snow, sky in a different shape arrangement: https://www.flickr.com/photos/137596...57631531250923

So that's where I'm coming from as a photographer liking an abstract photo. Ken combined a bunch of themes and tricks I like in the first image that are basically not present in the second image.

As a viewer and not a photographer, it's also showing dramatically the struggle of man versus the land. Our toughest machines are worn hard by beating against soil and rock; cursed ground and toil have been with us since practically creation e.g. Genesis 3. Our machines are meant to be shown gleaming and smooth like the cars we photograph, not beaten scarred and dirty. Maybe this represents something else that's beaten, scarred, and dirty instead of the machine shown?