Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future of Polaroid

Future of Polaroid

The latest chapter:

http://www.boston.com/business/techn...aying_off_150/

The nut grafs:

"The Norwood plant is shutting down, and we will soon be winding down activities at the Waltham facility as well," said Kyle MacDonald, senior vice president of Polaroid's instant photography business segment. The closures, set for completion during this quarter, will eliminate about 150 jobs. In the late 1970s, Polaroid employed about 15,000 in Massachusetts.

The Norwood and Waltham plants make large-format films used by professional photographers and artists. Polaroid also makes professional-grade films in Mexico, and its consumer film packs come from a factory in the Netherlands. All these plants are slated for closure this year. Polaroid chief operating officer Tom Beaudoin said the company is interested in licensing its technology to an outside firm that could manufacture film for faithful Polaroid customers. If that doesn't happen, Polaroid users would have to find an alternative photo technology, as the company plans to make only enough film to last into next year.

Polaroid has already quietly halted production of instant cameras. "We stopped making commercial-type cameras about 18 to 24 months ago, and we stopped making consumer cameras about a year ago," said Beaudoin.

Re: Future of Polaroid

you know, this came up a few months back and several people got flamed for talking about it.

this sucks.

Fujifilm are the most likely to take over Instant film production. However, compare the prices of Fujifilm Instant to Polaroid, and the future looks more expensive. The other issue is that Fujifilm Instant does not manipulate well. Polaroid manipulation could disappear as an art form in the near future.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

But ... does that mean no more Polaroid or is it the opinion of the guy who wrote the article? I hate to be doom and gloom without all the facts. Not saying it isn't accurate ... Polaroid could easily have been blowing smoke at its employees, including all but a few senior managers, for the past few months. It doesn't jibe with what I was told a month ago but then who knows ... I'll see what intelligence I can gather today or Monday.

Well they've stopped shipping to Canadian dealers and some packs have the dreaded 'product discontinued" or something, like that, sticker from what I've read. So, right now it walks and sounds alot like a duck.

Fwiw, I was told by a friend at a large pro shop last month that they were taking down the tent in '09, no mention of products, but without the tent, there ain't no circus.

Hope they're just playing a really bad game of chicken but I'm not optimistic.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Anyone want to buy three Polaroid 545i backs, great prices ;-)

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

This is a shame, but no surprise since it seems to have been "announced" (or alluded to) previously be Polaroid (or the new owner of Polaroid).

The Waltham facility re-development was mentioned a year or more ago in the Waltham Tribune. That tract of land has long been known as one of the most valuable under-developed industrial tracts in that area. I seem to recall that the new owners were funding the improvement (ie traffic flow increasing measures) of the 128 interchange near the plant.

Terence

Bought my first 545i holder last week. It's ALL in the timing . . . bad timing, that is.

Already there is no color film available in 4x5 sheet sizes, except for what some larger dealers may have in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    Already there is no color film available in 4x5 sheet sizes, except for what some larger dealers may have in stock.
    This news is exactly why I sold my Polaroid 545i back early last year. I didn't see how this market segment could stay afloat much longer.

Don Bryant