Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: flying with sheet films, recent experience.

flying with sheet films, recent experience.

A revisit to an old theme...

Recently I flew from Hartford to Phoenix, upon the gate of St Peters where one is complete strip down and scanned, I asked whether my sheets/rolls films can be hand inspected. The very friendly security officer agreed with a smile as if these sort of thing happens regularly, she took the large zip lock bag of films to the end of the line and started wiping it down. Seemingly all is well as I got dressed and collected my belongings, that is until they got to the opened boxes of sheet film and before I can run over and object, the inspector shook open the box in one smooth motion, viola! Unexposed film is now basked in the glorious florescent lights. As I am trying to move over as fast as I can, shouting as urgently without causing people to get into gun ready state of nervousness, they exposed second box of films.

The casualty counts is two almost full 50 sheets boxes of film. How they explained is that they have to inspected any film where it factory seal is broke open, that is if you want them to hand inspect. One can always opt letting the film go through the x-ray. Having them check the opened boxes of film even if one is to provide them with a black bag is completely up to the discretion of the on duty supervisor. Obviously this scenario only matters to sheet film users.

So my questions, how have people dealt with this traveling with opened boxes of sheet films? going out would be easier enough as one can just bring fresh un-open films but on the return leg...? Does USPS, or other currier such as Fedx or UPS x-ray boxes?

Re: flying with sheet films, recent experience.

I don't waste my time, or anyone else's time asking for hand-inspection of sheet film. It isn't necessary, and as you learned, the hard way, that those manning TSA stations don't know what sheet film is.

I carry sheet film regularly, it always goes through the hand luggage scanners. On a recent trip to South America I had MF FP4, HP5 & Tmax400, this involved 12 flights and more than 16 scans all the negatives were perfect.

As Robert says hand inspection isn't necessary, you learnt the hard way.

Ian

Another argument for ReadyLoads....

I've found it helpful to refer to my film as "X-ray" film at the checkpoint when I ask for hand inspection.

Also, when shipping, Fedex and UPS don''t routinely X-ray packages, but will not guarantee that it won't be X-rayed unless you specifically label the package as such and declare it on the airbill. (They sometimes -- though rarely -- route packages through airline package express services, which may end up getting xrayed by the TSA monster luggage zapping machines, and that is pretty much guaranteed to ruin even slow film).

I carry Kodak Readyload and Fuji Quickload films. Worse case I have a sacrificial packet of each, in case I need to explain what they are, or how they function. I can load an old packet into a holder, and pull the sleeve to show that there is film in it. However, I only had to do that once so far.

If it was me, and they had done that, I would be contacting the airline to make a claim. They should reimburse you for your damaged film. Sheet film is considered professional film, and while I do not know if you do this for a living, if something like this happened to me, then it could be detrimental to my work.

Anyway, if you are shooting predominantly ISO 100 films, and not push processing them, you should be fine for around 5 passes through Xray. I did have film that showed Xray damage once, but it was Kodak Ektachrome P1600 (35mm only), and at the time I was using it at ISO 3200 and push processing. Film Xray damage is rare with most of the equipment in use for security screening today, but definitely do not put film in your checked bag.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography
    Last edited by Gordon Moat; 6-Feb-2008 at 11:20. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    I carry sheet film regularly, it always goes through the hand luggage scanners. On a recent trip to South America I had MF FP4, HP5 & Tmax400, this involved 12 flights and more than 16 scans all the negatives were perfect.

As Robert says hand inspection isn't necessary, you learnt the hard way.

Ian
    This is very encouraging news, especially for x-ray machines settings that are suppose to be less standardized . Thanks for sharing.

Nothing bad have ever happen to my films going through the x-ray scan when some airport refuse hand inspection, but this is the first time I travel with sheet films and I didn't know about the opened box policy. I just let all the exposed sheet films go through the machine on the way back and developed films looks fine so far.

Robert

jetcode

another choice is to send your film home - most scanners are fine though there are countries who still use older scanner technologies

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post

If it was me, and they had done that, I would be contacting the airline to make a claim. They should reimburse you for your damaged film. Sheet film is considered professional film, and while I do not know if you do this for a living, if something like this happened to me, then it could be detrimental to my work.

Gordon Moat Photography
    My wife was saying the same thing, about putting in the claim. But at the time though I was upset, I was not that upset since they were unexposed outdated film that was given to me and I just want to clear out.

Also though someone is at fault for not knowing how to handle sheet films properly, I don't see how the responsibility should rest with the airline.

Ultimately it is that I can't be bother about things I didn't care too much about, and it was a good dinner conversation topic while I was down at Arizona and someone was nice enough to give me even more film, thank goodness to the digital revolution

Robert

I had an experience in Albany, NY just this week. The TSA inspector was determined to open the boxes of exposed, but undeveloped film from the weekend. I objected and got the supervisor to hand inspect. No damage to the negatives upon development was noted.
    Now sheet film is not all that common, but is encountered by TSA inspectors from time to time. With the thousands of dollars spent on all that scanning equipment, A hundred bucks for a changing bag would not be out of line. Why don't they have a changing bag or a dark facility for inspecting light sensative materiels?
    Funny thing, on the way out my camera bag (including Linhof Tech IV) was fully inspected, but on the way back it was just scanned.

I always let the film go through the X-ray or ship it home precisely to avoid the need for hand inspection.

Another thing that helps if I have a lot of film is to put the film in a separate bag from the camera and let it go through the X-ray. That way, if they want to look in the camera case, they won't be getting near any film boxes.