Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: flying with sheet films, recent experience.

Re: flying with sheet films, recent experience.

Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    No one have said anything about flying with film size larger than 45? Anyone?
    Scootermm reported an unfortunate experience flying out of Manchester, NH at Christmas with his 12x20. But from the description of the event, it sounded to me like he had requested a hand search, and that's what he got - opening film boxes, etc. Be careful what you ask for.

The best advice may be to hand carry, and allow the stuff to be screened normally.

When I fly, I ship my sheet film to my destination hotel ahead of time with the instructions "Hold for guest Bruce Laughton arriving XX/XX.

You can set up a UPS account free of charge that will allow you to create your own shipments on line and charge the fee to your credit card. Once you have the account, you can print out the pre-paid shipping labels on your printer. Simply create the label to your destination and then create a prepaid return return shipping label which put inside the box. When you are ready to return home, you simply paste the return label on your shipping box and drop it off at a UPS store, UPS box or hand it to any UPS driver.

While I haven't tried it, I suspect a UPS store can print out the return label as well.
    Bruce

This spring I will be traveling to Durbin (sout Africa), and later to Ghana with a Linhof tech. I wonder Just how does one travel through (these country's) with out getting you film ruined (by inspectors). Also, I plan on using my "tiltall" tirpod (so save on weight), will such a light tripod work with the Linhof? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    This spring I will be traveling to Durbin (sout Africa), and later to Ghana with a Linhof tech. I wonder Just how does one travel through (these country's) with out getting you film ruined (by inspectors). Also, I plan on using my "tiltall" tirpod (so save on weight), will such a light tripod work with the Linhof? Thanks in advance.
    I would test the tiltall before you go. I have a Tiltall here at my workplace and tried my Omegaview 4x5 (studio rail camera), and it is way to flimsy with the tiltall head where it meets the the tripod legs. There is a rubber bushing there, that creates way to much flex for any kind of stable shooting with a large camera. Where using a lighter system with a firmer head (used Gitzo GT2540 carbon legs and RRS BH-55 head) is actualy a stiffer and more stable combination. Though I am looking a stronger set of carbon legs for my large format travel work, that BH-55 is very rigid when locked up.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    A Tiltall is fine for a Technika. They were designed for press cameras before Leitz bought the design.

Smile Re: flying with sheet films, recent experience.

Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    So the general consensus seems to suggest hand check x-rays are safe for slower film, packing films in pockets, using quickload film packets, or mailing/shipping films to and back.

No one have said anything about flying with film size larger than 45? Anyone?
    I flew to Seattle in January 2008 with my whole plate (6.5" x 8.5"), two lenses, three holders and accessories with no problems. I did ship the exposed film home to myself. I put the box containing film in the bin with my coat at the security checkpoint in the airport since I figured my camera bag (a laptop bag) would get a second look at the x-ray (because of the shutters probably) and my coats would most likely not draw any undue attention.

The sheets I have developed so far seem to be just fine. (I'm still backlogged with development right now.)

When I fly, I ship my sheet film to my destination hotel ahead of time with the instructions "Hold for guest Bruce Laughton arriving XX/XX.

You can set up a UPS account free of charge that will allow you to create your own shipments on line and charge the fee to your credit card. Once you have the account, you can print out the pre-paid shipping labels on your printer. Simply create the label to your destination and then create a prepaid return return shipping label which put inside the box. When you are ready to return home, you simply paste the return label on your shipping box and drop it off at a UPS store, UPS box or hand it to any UPS driver.
    This is what I do too. Since having film fogged once a couple of years ago, I no longer take the chance at airports.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    This is what I do too. Since having film fogged once a couple of years ago, I no longer take the chance at airports.
    Kirk,

Doesn't UPS x-ray contents? I thought only Fedex didn't. That said, I have never flown with sheet film....only 35mm and MF foll film and have never had a problem with hand searches. But then again, most people have never seen a box of "sheet" film.

Maybe I'll use quickloads instead.

David, I've never had a problem with Fed Ex (a friend who is an exec at FX told me that their xraying was a myth) or UPS (I ship film to Praus via UPS all the time).
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thanks!