Thread: Your thoughts this "special" type of film hangers for 8x10

Your thoughts this "special" type of film hangers for 8x10

Has anybody used the X-ray type film hangers for to process their sheet film. I'm not talking about the common Kodak type. I'm thinking, instead, of the hangers that have the little clips at the four corners. Something like this one:

It seems the dreaded "Surge" or "Bromide Drag" would not be an issue since there are no holes for the developer to "Surge" through.

Any thoughts??
    Nick Kanellos

Re: Your thoughts this "special" type of film hangers for 8x10

I don't know if they'd solve the bromide thing or not.

I have a couple in a box somehwere that I got as part of a plan to build an 8x10 neg holder for enlarging that never came to fruition...

(I remember seeing a Heath Robinson neg holder using them online somewhere? Bruce?? who made ULF cameras maybe?)

Anyway, I never tried them for processing either.

let me know if you are interested in them and I could send them along if I can find them

tim a
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Proper pre-soak, developer choice, and correct agitation procedures (based on specific film and developer) eliminate the issues you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    Proper pre-soak, developer choice, and correct agitation procedures (based on specific film and developer) eliminate the issues you mention.
    Gene, could you elaborate? I've never used film hangers. For 4x5 I've used the CombiPlan for the last 10 years and been quite satisfied with it. More recently with 8x10, I've only ever used trays, and the results have been largely unsatisfactory (scratches, uneven development). I've been researching alternatives and have been reading all over the internet about the dreaded "Bromide Drag" or "Surge" associated with stainless steel hangers. This has been attributed to the holes in the hangers through which the developer "surges" as they are being plunged into the solution. So this has made me reticent to buy any - until I came across this variety.

I've read that pyro (the developer I use) with hangers is not a good combination. True?? False??? Thoughts??? Is there a particular agitation strategy with pyro that works (better than lift --> tilt left --> dunk --> lift --> tilt right --> dunk??).
    Nick Kanellos

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Kanellos View Post
    I've read that pyro (the developer I use) with hangers is not a good combination. True?? False??? Thoughts??? Is there a particular agitation strategy with pyro that works (better than lift --> tilt left --> dunk --> lift --> tilt right --> dunk??).
    The agitation you've described works very well also for processing color reversal films. But one needs a developer tank with 3 1/2 gallons (13.2 liters) solution. Also nitrogen burst agitation gives very good results.

Peter K

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Kanellos View Post
    More recently with 8x10, I've only ever used trays, and the results have been largely unsatisfactory (scratches, uneven development). .
    I had lots of problems with 8x10 tray development. Then I let my self slow down and get more precise with my shuffling. No more scratches and developement is more even.

There is something else I did , that I am sure will cause some controversy, get ready for it : I use 8x10 trays.

Everyone insists on on one size bigger (ie 11x15 for 8x10 negs) . I find that is is so much easier to grab the deck of negs in a 8x10 tray (they have no where to go) and it they are less likely to scratch. I never see uneven developement in sky's etc. I think that is because I shuffle slowly and gently. I was originally driven to 8x10 trays because of space. I do however develope my 4x5s and 5x7s in the same trays, because I find I can do it and so there is no need to pull out a new set of trays.

for point of reference:

I use FP4+ (something like efke might scratch more easily)
    I presoak two rounds of shuffling
    I develope with Pyrocat HD 2:2:100
    I use a dim green safelight to develop by inspection
    I typically shuffle develop 8-10 negs at a time
    develop time is usually 10-16 minutes (this means in two hours I can do ~40 negs)
    I rotate negs after each round of shuffling
    I print on Azo

oh re hangers: it looks like the clips could get into the image area of an 8x10, or might be hard to keep out. This is probably not a concern with x-ray negs

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schmidt View Post
    oh re hangers: it looks like the clips could get into the image area of an 8x10, or might be hard to keep out. This is probably not a concern with x-ray negs
    When films are developed in big dip'n dunk machines one can see this holes. But only in the unexposed areas near the film edge.

Peter K

There is also a method of using hangers for tray development by bending the handle up, so the part with the film lies flat in the tray. Pretty much eliminates scratches but limits the number you can do at one time. I'll stick to the Unicolor paper drum for my sheet film. I don't have many to do at one time anyway.

Loading that hanger in the dark would be a SOB. It would work fine under a red safe light, which it was designed to be used under with X-ray film.

Vaughn