Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kata BP-502 + Sinar F2?

Kata BP-502 + Sinar F2?

I'm currently looking for a backpack for my Sinar F2 and I stumbled upon the Kata BP-502.
    (http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=4&ProdLine=4)

The internal main compartment is about 38cm x 28cm x 54cm, which means that I could store the whole camera without disassembling it.

Can anyone confirm this assumption or does anyone have any experience with this backpack?

Re: Kata BP-502 + Sinar F2?

I don't have Kata BP-502 but could share my experience with a couple of other Kata backpacks...

After using a non-photo backpack for a few months for carrying a view camera, I gave in and first bought Kata HB-205 and later (when I upgraded my camera) bought HB-207.

HB-205 - smaller backpack used for Arca Swiss 6x9
    HB-207 - larger backpack used for Arca Swiss 4x5

I used the smaller HB-205 for Arca Swiss 6x9 and now I use the larger HB-207 for Arca Swiss 4x5. The backpacks are wonderful and are extremely well made. They are bulit like a tank - afterall Kata makes body armor for Israeli army! I was surprised to find the smaller HB-205 had slightly better shoulder padding than the larger HB-207. The suspension system and the waist belt are great. The smaller backpack could be taken as a carry-on luggage on a flight but the larger seems too large for that. The larger one has a laptop compartment (which I have never used) and another small comparment at the top in addition to other compartments that the smaller one has. I use the top compartment for lens shade, a measuring tape, etc. Both backpacks have three more compartments for accessories on the outer side of the large lid that opens/closes the backpack. I use these for filters, cleaning accessores, etc. I carry about 30 lb weight in HB-207. There is an inner compartement on the lid, too. There re two more open pouches on either side of the backpack with darwstrings. I use these for a water bottle and the extension rail. The backpacks also come with the tripod pouch that could be attached externally. I have never used it. I wish Kata had made HB-207 without the laptop compartment and had used the same slightly bulkier shoulder padding as its smaller sibling (HB-205). Overall I'm would highly recommend both backpacks.

The backpack you are looking at, BP-502, is even larger than BP-207 and much heavier, too.

// Atul
    Last edited by Atul Mohidekar; 2-Feb-2008 at 11:47.

Thank you for your reply, I just checked the specs for the 207...would be quite hard to fit the Sinar into that, I'd be about 3cm short (207 has 18cm width, Sinar has about 21cm and I don't want to squeeze it in, it's way too fragile for that) but apart from that it's a great backpack.

Well I think I'm gonna go with the 502, hopefully it's the right thing to do.

I guess there's not much of a choice on the market these days except for maybe a hard/softcase and that'd be really uncomfortable.

Unless you take the bellows off and fold the standards parallel with the rail. Then you can pack it in a much smaller space.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Unless you take the bellows off and fold the standards parallel with the rail. Then you can pack it in a much smaller space.
    I know but it's just such a waste of time to fold it together and then unfold it again...especially when you're in a hurry. Sure it's better than completely disassembling it but I'm not looking for the lesser of the two evils

By the way, even if I fold the camera it'd still be about 22x21x33cm

Shutter,

Here are a couple of threads on this forum that might be useful, if you have not already seen them:

1. Show your bag:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=31080

I'm planning to post some pictures, in the thread above, of my LF backpack setup when I get some time to take the pictures.

2. Backpack recommendations:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=17150

// Atul

Thank you for the links, but I haven't seen anyone with a monorail backpack, they're all rather compact field cameras and they fold together more or less nicely...whereas the F2 is extremely bulky and won't fit into like 95% of all common backpacks.

how many euros are they asking for this BP-502 ?

andre

300€ / 444$

without taxes it'd be 250€ / 370$

:-/

Try eBay. I got the HB-207 much cheaper there. It was used but in a very good condition. There are couple of 502s currently listed and one was sold for $102 recently!

// Atul