Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from "Good ol' Germany"

Hello from "Good ol' Germany"

Hi everybody,
    I've been reading here for some time now, and I also got some helpful answers to my questions. Think it's time to introduce myself.

I've been taking photos since I'm 17 - some 26 years ago. But my photographic "career" started with 35mm in 1991. Besides colour photography, I had a lot of fun doing b/w. I loved the A. Adams "Trilogy" and dreamt of LF. When I first held a SINAR brochure in my hands, I fell in love ... Yes, I have been enchanted by this technology (hey, I'm an engineer - blame me) and by the pictures you get using LF.

But it took a long time, until I could afford my SINAR f2, 4x5". 2002 was the year (I love the p2, which I used (rental) some times for product shots, but it's too heavy for outdoor work - and the amount of coins for buying it is also heavier). My job left little time for hobbies, so I only used the camera in my holidays and on some long weekends. Most of the time I took 6x7, 6x9 or 6x12 on 120. It's cheaper in film, developing and takes less time for preparation and handling. As I earned better, I added lenses and equipment - thanks to online auctions. With more than three darkslides it was more fun doing 4x5". I could keep different films loaded, and only change film once a day ...

So why do I write today?

I just won an auction for the format adaptor and bellows 8x10".

Somehow I feel, like this is the real start of LF photograpy. I want to go on doing colour slides in 4x5" and move b/w from 4x5" to 8x10", using scanner and the latest ink printers for enlargement. I own an 4x5" enlarger, and for some 3 years I wanted to do chemical development, but you need time. Perhaps I will go back to chemistry when I retire.

What preferences do I have in photography? I like old technology (say!) like gears and steam engines, architecture and landscapes. And sort of "nature stills", no studio shots, but details found outside in forests and mountains.

I would like to show some pictures online, but up to now I only have a handfull of scanned 6x7, no LF, many 35mm.

Perhaps in some years I can also give some input, and not only take information from this forum. Until then, my visible profile will be kept low.

Thanks to all who helped me up to now!

Kind regards

Michael

Re: Hello from "Good ol' Germany"

Welcome from California! 8x10 is a blast---wait until you develop that first really big negative!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome, Michael.

Willkommen!

Where in Germany do you live? I miss German bier and wurst.

@butterflydream

I live in northern Germany, around 30 km south of Hamburg. So here it's bitter beer and fish instead of sweet bear and "Wurst" like in southern Germany, specially Bavaria.

Regards

Michael

I think I prefer the "Good new Germany."

Andi Heuser

Hi Michael,
    Welcome from Düsseldorf.
    I hope you will find enough time for your Photography.

sanchi

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Hello Michael,,

I hope you didn't buy the 8x10" format changing kit for the f series sinar... It won't work... Changing kits only work on the P series cameras...
    Welcome to the forum
    Regards
    Steve

@sanchi

Hi sanchi! Thanks for the welcome. You are quite right, time's the problem. I did a master education accompanying my regular job for the last two years; today I'm working on my master thesis, which I like to be finished with in September. I hope next year will leave me more time for photography ...

@Steve

Hi Steve, originally I only wanted the f2 8x10" set. But it had been too expensive (the few times it occures). So I acquired system parts step by step: first I bought a "p" rear standard bearer, then a "p" 8x10" frame, back and bellows (normal and wide). Coincidally I got a "p2" rear standard bearer for a very good price, and some 2 weeks ago I bought a stronger front standard with more up/down movement (spring borne) of an 8x10" f or f2. I have a 4x5" frame for the p2 bearer, too, and I wait to encounter a p2 front standard - then I have all the choice: f2 4x5" or c2 8x10" for outdoors, or p2 4x5" or 8x10" for studio.
    Perhaps sometimes even an 8x10" special p2 bearer surfaces down the bay for a reasonable price ...

Regards

Michael

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Hello Michael,,

Good to hear ,, I was hoping you knew the game... Also something I forgot to mention.. Sinar p "non metering" backs take a special size format changing kit and will not fit the "metering back" of the Sinar P2 ... The Sinar P2 is a little larger and heavier
    Regards
    Steve