Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rodenstock Apo Rodagon-N 80mm and 90mm

Question Rodenstock Apo Rodagon-N 80mm and 90mm

Hello ye experts,

does anyone have experience with both the Apo Rodagon-N 80mm and 90mm enlarging lenses?

They are both rated identically (ie. both are listed as supporting a max. 6x7 format, both have a scale range of 2x-15x) so I have no idea why Rodenstock sold both. The 80mm has an image circle of 70 mm, and the 90mm has an image circle of 93.5mm. OKay, thats the difference. But why then does the 90mm lense not cover 6x9?

Possibly thats the clue: Rodenstock _sold_ both, since the 90mm Apo-N isn't in the list anymore. I guess they changed their minds and simplified the their product offering.

Still, if both lenses support the exact same negative formats (and not, say, 6x9, because for 6x9 Rodenstock says you want the 105mm Apo Rodagon-N) then I guess 90mm has a disadvantage against the 80mm, because you would need to ride your enlarger head higher to get the same size print when using the 90mm as compared to the 80mm.

So, from the specs, the 90mm is inferior to the 80mm, and it would not make sense to get the 90mm, unless you are a tell person and want to bend down less when you are working at the enlarger.

But, if someone has direct experience with both these fine lenses, then I won't need to speculate anymore.

Thanks!

-Z

Re: Rodenstock Apo Rodagon-N 80mm and 90mm

The 90 is no longer made as is no longer available from us (US Distributor) or the factory.

The 90 Apo Rodagon N (not the older non N version) was introduced along with the 45mm Apo Rodagon N.

It was an outstanding lens and slightly outperformed the 80mm providing you used a glass carrier for both and the enlarger was really in proper alignment.

It had a very short production life as these lenses were introduced just before darkroom started it's downward slide. The major drawback to the 90 was that at any given enlarger height the maximum print size was smaller then the 80mm.

There were only a handful of the 90mm Apo N lenses sold in the US. The 45 was much more popular. Do not confuse this 90 with the much older 90mm Apo Rodagon. That was a totally different lens that was inferior to all the N versions optically.

Hi,

Yes, I am indeed taking about the APO-N lense. Thanks for providing some moreinfo on the 90mm lense.

Do you happen to know how much of a hight difference there is required to get the same size enlargement from the 80mm vs. 90mm? Yes, I suppose i could look in a math book and try and figure it out. I suppose it depends on what enlargement size as well. Okay, say, for a 6x6 negative to make a 16"x20" print. Are we talking a huge difference or only an inch maybe?

Thanks!

-Z

Not to hijack your thread but has anyone used the 80mm apo rodagon N for 6x7 sucessfully? I've been searching for a rodagon N and it looks like either the 105 or the 80mm.

I've used the 80mm Apo Rodagon-N for both 6x6 and 6x9, so I don't see why it wouldn't be a great solution for 6x7. 105 seems a little long for 6x7, but I gues it depends on what size prints you want to make. It's a really fine optic if you want the best quality enlargements. I recommend laser alignment of your enlarger and a glass carrier to get the most out of the Rodagon.

Hi BarryS,

Thanks for the input. For some reason Rodenstock doesn't list the 80mm nor the 90mm lense for more than 6x7.

-Z

No doubt, Bob will chime in about the information on the Rodenstock site, but there is absolutely no coverage issue with the 80mm and a 6x9 negative, so perhaps it addresses expected column heights and print sizes. I do have the 80mm on a short lens cone for my D2, so maybe they anticipate some issues with negative plane to lens plane distances.

Quote Originally Posted by Zn0rt View Post
    The 80mm has an image circle of 70 mm, and the 90mm has an image circle of 93.5mm. OKay, thats the difference. But why then does the 90mm lense not cover 6x9?
    Don't know about your 6x9 camera, but my Horseman makes negatives that are about 99.5mm in diagonal. So based on the info given, I would not use that 90mm lens to enlarge 6x9.

Sorry, I think I spaced out because I just checked my darkroom and I believe I was using a 105mm Nikon lens for my 6x9 work. It's been a while since I was shooting 6x9 and the last stuff I was enlarging was all 6x6 and I definitely had the 80mm Apo Rodagon-N mounted.

Aha!

Yeah well, then its back to max 6x7 with either 80mm or 90mm, and no real reason to use the 90mm over the 80mm, other than possibly a slight quality improvement at 90mm with the penalty of having to move the head higher for the same projection size.