Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson 3800 and RIP?

Epson 3800 and RIP?

I know you can to relate to hiking a LF camera into the hinterlands only to sit for hours cussing the wind as the light fades away. I have paid some dues in 18+ years as a LF photographer. I know what I want in BW. But color? In a word - unsuccessful for me.

But you guys are creating some beautiful color images with digital technology. Enviously, I have been splashing around the digital tidal pools for quite a while, watching you mainstream digital artists with admiration. So, I am slowly wading in.

So far, I have acquired an Intel-Mac, Epson V700 scanner, and LightZone photo editing software. Its a start. I learn each before I purchase the next. This stuff stretches the old budget. But in truth, its been a blast!

My printing needs require only the Epson 3800. However, do you really think the pro model (colorburst RIP) is necessary? Considering the 3800 uses only pre-cut media and not roll. I am used to pre-cut paper in my darkroom anyway, and for now will stay with those sizes. If I am understanding RIP correctly is it primarily used for over-sized prints? Or is there another advantage I should consider?

My wife, a school teacher, is interested in the portrait model. Mostly for use with her school children. But the "Express Digital Darkroom" bundled with the Epson is Windows only. Any other portrait program like this out there? It looked really easy for her to use.

All of your contributions to this forum have been a tremendous resource for me and I am very grateful. Especially your opinions. I like the first hand candor put forth. Much better than the pasted magazine reviews I find on other forums.

Regards to all and
    Thanks,

Herbert

Re: Epson 3800 and RIP?

I use a 3800 quite extensively and haven't found any need for the Colorburst (or any) RIP. The RIP allows for printing longer than 37.4", somewhat more control, and mainly-- a workflow for printing PostScript files. I believe the included RIP in the pro package is crippled, including only profiles for Epson branded papers. Most photographers don't need a RIP on the 3800.

You can always use the inexpensive QImage for automated photo layout on large sheets. I'd be wary of the Portrait package unless you know you want whatever version of Express Digital Darkroom they're bundling with the 3800. My guess is it would be a basic or crippled version. Chances are, the functions in Photoshop will do everything you need. If not, QImage will handle the fancier layout stuff if your wife wants to do portrait packages.

For black and white, the Quad Tone RIP will allow you to print longer than 37.4" at a rockbottom price.

I think you will find that your prints improve with the use of a RIP but you will need to full Colorburst RIP or some other third party RIP, not the n supplied with the printer. The one supplied with the printer is a very "crippled" product ... it only allows you to work with the supplied profiles for Epson papers ... you can't use it with any third party papers. Just n part of the Epson strategy to make most of their $$$ from selling media and ink.

I agree with Ted. I use the full ColorBurst RIP with my 3800 and there is no doubt it provides improved print quality, particularly with non-Epson papers. To use it properly you will need to invest in an Eye One, preferably UV cut, (if you haven't already got one) though.

Having said that the 3800 does produce very good prints using the Epson driver and the paper manufacturers generic profiles so it may be that you will not find the need for a RIP at all. Just remember if you go down this route that there is still more to be had from the printer if you need it.

David Whistance

If you do any black and white photography QTR (QuadToneRip) from Roy Harrington (www.harrington.com I believe) is great and costs only $50. You can also use it to make your own profiles if you have the necessary ancillary equipment. I'm not aware that it does anything for color though I've never investigated that. I haven't found the need for a RIP with color on my 3800 but I don't consider myself a color expert either. The profiles that come with the 3800 software for Epson papers are quite good and if you use third-party papers the manufacturers often have profiles that you can download from their web site. Or you can have your own custom profiles made for about $50.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

You need a RIP to go beyond a length of 37.4".

Doug Dolde

My Epson 3800 came with the RIP, they accidently gave me the Pro version for the price of the standard one. I've never used it though. Whether thats good or bad I don't know, but it's a brilliant printer without the RIP.

Thanks for the posts. Been out of town. Reading the replies brought to mind two additional questions.

As I understand, there is agreement that RIP produces better quality prints. I take this to mean "all" and not just over-sized. Correct?

Also, the "ancillary" hardware (eye one etc.) needed to fully utilize the RIP appears complicated for my learning curve at present. But, the "crippled" version of Colorburst that is bundled might, just might, not need it.

Would it be fair to say that Epson is providing an alternative to purchasing additional hardware and had Colorburst RIP "tailored" to already match Epson's inks, paper etc. for easier entry to pro-imaging? Are Epson people that smart? Or am I just dreaming?

regards,
    Herbert

Herbert,

You don't need any additional hardware to use the RIP. Using it on the other had may or may ot improve the quality of your color prints. You can use the RIP to fine tune ink percentages, etc. and can do so without additional hardware. You will need additional hardware if you intend to use the RIP to build personal paper profiles.

Epson isn't necessarily providing you with anything worthwhile. You will likely do jut as well with the standard Epson driver and having a third party do one or two profiles for the papers you finally choose. Again, let me stress that the RIP is crippled as it comes from Epson, to get its full functionality you need to spend an additional 400-500 from Colorburst. Without that additional functionality it does you no goo dat all with papers other than those from Epson. Problem here is that Epson's paper selection is rather limited and, with the possible exception of Fine Art Velvet and the new paper whose name I forget, is seldom a choice for exhibition quality printing.

I use a variety of paper from Harman, Ilford, Innova, Crane and Moab. None from Epson.

Thanks Ted. I like saving money and will purchase the standard model.

For me, overspending is like over drinking. I just hate myself in the morning.

Regards,
    Herbert