Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodak profit rises

Exclamation Kodak profit rises

Kodak's latest figures. Everyone can draw their own conclusions.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/busi...=5070&emc=eta1

Juergen
    Juergen

Re: Kodak profit rises

Wow. A 15% drop in revenues from film and paper sales. That's scary, considering that it comes on top of drops every year since the mid-1990s. I was hoping sales of traditional materials would level off at some point but apparently that hasn't yet happened for Kodak. Of course the article is talking about a decline in revenues which is different from profits. I have to think that the profits on film and paper are pretty good. Still, if this kind of decline keeps up there's bound to come a point where staying in the business just isn't worth it for a company Kodak's size.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Eric Biggerstaff

Good for Kodak, I hope they continue to improve and their profits get stronger. A solid Kodak is good for the industry in my opinion. And, I hope they continue to grow their digital business.

Also, I am not surprised that analog products continues to decline. I wonder if the overall analog market has started to settle down and Kodaks revenue decline is due to people moving their business over to competitors such as Ilford, or if the analog market continues to decline overall. Not sure, but I am not surprised by this part of Kodaks business. As Brian mentioned, I am sure it is profitable for them.

I do find hope in that Kodak is rolling out "improved" film products, so it appears they continue to have some interest in this business segment.

Overall, I hope Kodak continues to improve and get stronger as a company.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I doubt if Ilford makes much of any dent in Kodak revenues. However, Fujifilm is the place to look. Apparently, after the demise of AGFA Photo, Fujifilm made out better in minilab replacements than Kodak, thus gaining some more market share.

A dig through the greater numbers in the SEC report indicates that traditional products are more profitable than in the past. This could be due to the streamlining and layoffs, or other efficiencies.

A weak US dollar can help export sales, but hurt them in any supplies from outside the US. You also have to look at global travel, since that is a huge part of one-time-use camera sales, still the greatest volume traditional product.

Also, when articles mention digital and Kodak, they are often lumping in commercial printing and graphic arts industry revenues. While that section is largely electronic (digital), it should not be viewed the same as sales to the public. Kodak also reduced the number of consumer digital cameras they produce, yet increased imaging chip sales to other companies, which seems to be another source of better profits.

More and more, Kodak is becoming a company that sells to other companies, and less of a consumer oriented company. This, I think, is better for the long term health of Kodak. Unfortunately, they have done nothing to change the perception of them being a consumer imaging company, which to me seems baffling . . . probably why the stock has tanked . . . though might be a good time to buy into it.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

We live in very interesting times, where like technology transitions like Kodak are very fast. Kodak will drop most films, then all.. and sooner than you think ... the only bright light I can see is a good inkjet printer make come of this. We all seem to use these right know anyway.

Why would they drop something that gets a higher profit than any other product they produce? Those revenues are still quite high, even if they are no longer at the all time level of 1988. Can you imagine how ecstatic Fujifilm would be if Kodak stopped film production entirely . . . quite simply this is just not imaginable.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Hello Gordon,

Did you read the same New York Times article i did?

Gerry

If a company stops making, or reduces the range of, products, it is no wonder why revenue decreases from that particular range of products.

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    If a company stops making, or reduces the range of, products, it is no wonder why revenue decreases from that particular range of products.

Vaughn
    ditto...
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Harrison View Post
    Hello Gordon,

Did you read the same New York Times article i did?

Gerry
    Yes Gerry. However, when I read financial information, I go to the actual numbers in the SEC report required by law from Kodak. There you will find the numbers that the Times writer used for his article and opinions.

Ciao!

Gordon