Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Tucson!

Arcaholic

Greetings from Tucson!

This is a great site! Thanks to all those who contribute and make the learning possible.

I'm just now starting in LF. Over the years, I've shot 35mm, a tiny bit of 6x7, and a little digital as of late. LF has always been on my mind, but I never took the plunge. The reason I decided to do LF now was this "event" here in Tucson a year ago:

This much snowfall is extrememly rare here. Every 2-3 years we may get a very light dusting, but not enough to make a good photo. I've lived here 20 years and this was the most snow I've seen here. After talking with others that have lived here longer, they recalled another like it in 1987. So I think this truly was a once-in-20-year event!

Where am I going with all this? I've been wishing ever since I took these that I had a better camera to capture this rare event. I'm dissapointed in myself that the best capture I have is a 5 megapixel JPEG!! Oh how I wish I had the images I took that day on 4x5!

Recently I purchased a used Arca Swiss F line so I can try to right my wrongs. Have been gathering the other little necessary pieces of equipment; soon I can go out and make mistakes with my new camera!

Anyway, if you've read this far, thanks. I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

Scott

Re: Greetings from Tucson!

Welcome to the LF Forum, Scott.

What a wonderful photo!
    I was fortunate to have spent some time just south of Tucson at Ft. Huachuca/Tombstone/Sierra Vista several years ago.
    What a great location for LF photography--welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome, Scott, from another Tucsonan. You mean this day :-D

Laurent

Arcaholic

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Yes, John, this is a great area for LF. Great subject matter and great sunsets for the lanscape photographer.

Laurent, that's it! How many LF shots were you able to get? I was moving around quickly with my digital camera; of course I couldn't have done that with the LF. Snow-in-the-desert shots are great. If you have any more shots to share, I'd love to see them.

Scott

Scott, I got 3 other trannies that morning that I never did anything with and are still in the files. I worked from sunrise to about 9am when I had to get to my real job. The biggest thing you'll find switching to LF, is asking yourself if you want to waste your time on a particular scene with a sheet of film. If the answer is yes, you work. Image culling happens up front this way, instead of later with lightroom :-)
    Laurent

Scott-

Welcome from another new user. Great images!! Keep posting them. Way to go with the Arca too-great system.

-
    Darren
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

welcome Scott. I live not far from Tucson, Hermosillo is 250km south of Nogales, on the way to Bahía de Kino and San Carlos.
    Héctor Navarro Agraz

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Welcome, Scott! As another Tucson lf photographer, I keep thinking that one of these days, we'll have to organize a large format get-together around here...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

We should, show those elitist Phoenicians a thing or two about a real town
    Laurent