Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT:new Fuji MF camera

Re: OT:new Fuji MF camera

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    If I were to guess, I would think another rangefinder. Perhaps they might make one without a fixed lens. To avoid competing with Mamiya, it might be a 645 design. Anyway, that's enough speculation until we actually see something.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

I would personally not find a 645 design as interesting as 6X7 or 6X9. If you want 645 you already have the Fuji GA645zi, which is an outstanding point and shoot 645 with a zoom lens, modest in range though it is. A modern version of the Fuji GA645zi, in 6X9 format, with automatic focus and exposure, and a zoom lens, would be an awesome camera.

Sandy King

Has anyone produced a widely available zoom lens for a format larger than 6x6? I suspect it would be either really big, really slow, really bad, or really expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    They also still sell a GX680 in Japan, but I don't think anyone considers that portable.
    Not to go too far off topic here, but I shot a GX680 as my primary "serious" camera for years, and it remains one of my favorite camera systems for field use. They're definitely heavy but, being reasonably compact and rugged (as cameras with both movements and motor drives go), quite portable. What they aren't is even remotely handholdable, at least if you're me.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Has anyone produced a widely available zoom lens for a format larger than 6x6? I suspect it would be either really big, really slow, really bad, or really expensive.
    Pentax made a couple of zoom lenses for the Pentax 67 camera. They were big, slow, and expensive. I can not comment about the optical qualities.

The zoom on the Fuji GA645zi is relatively small and the optical quality is excellent. However, it is a variable focus lens, not a zoom. As for price, the camera sold for close to $2k originally, with the 55mm - 90mm variable focus lens.

Sandy King

The new camera is a 6x7 rangefinder folder. Built in meter etc. Leaf shutter, f3.5 lens. A few pictures of it are floating on the net.

If they price it reasonably, it might convince quite a few people to start shooting 120! In any case, if it's not horrendously expensive, I'll certainly get one.

Sounds great--can you point me to a pic, I couldn't find any. I just sold my Fuji GSW690 II, but a folder sounds very nice. My seat of the pants guess for price is $1700.

Thanks, the prototype looks great with that beefy front standard. I have an Ensign Selfix I got from my father and so I have a soft spot for folders.

sweet
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Lots a bit like the old GS645 Folder from them, just scaled up. Front mounted aperture selection, and small tab helical focus at the front. Tough to tell scale, or filter size. If they added Aperture Priority, then it could be quite intriguing. The only downer I see about this is the knob film advance. This is still a prototype, so maybe they will consider a lever film advance. I would guess pricing much closer to $US 1000, but I could see with exchange rates, or low volume production, it could be closer to $US 2000.

With a used Mamiya 7 going for closer to $1500, what price level would have people buying this over the Mamiya? I think that is more the competition, than restored folder cameras of the past. The other competitor, and somewhat reminding me of this, is the Plaubel Makina, but those go for stupid money on the used market.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography