View Poll Results: Photo Fight Club: Wall v. Crewdson

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jeff Wall, Insomnia

35 60.34%
  • Gregory Crewdson, Untitled 'Beneath the Roses' (Ophelia)

23 39.66%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo Fight Club: Wall v. Crewdson

Darkcloth Fumbler

Re: Photo Fight Club: Wall v. Crewdson

I find Crewdson generates in me the same response Alan has to Wall. However I don't think this is the best example of Crewdson's work. While I stand by my "Crewdson rocks" statement, I think the Wall image is the superior of these particular two.
    - matt haines

Business.
    Pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by ageorge View Post
    I vote Wall.....

Wall's work has this unresolved tension that hangs with me after viewing. Knowing that these are staged versus found stituations, there seem to be many odd choices made and I tend to search for meaning in these choices. For example, why are the cabinet doors open? Why is the salt on the table and the pepper on the stove? And the butter is out? What does all this have to do with insomnia? Probably nothing, but it keeps me thinking about the images long after the initial viewing. The images seem to ask more questions than answer, I like that.
    And why is the paper bag on top of the fridge? - one of the crew left it there and they didn't notice until later, but it worked so well Wall decided to stick with it... really :-)

Still an opportunity for chance - it's not all controlled down to the last detail...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

traveling the continent in a vintage airstream

I was so happy to find this poll on here, I voted for the Wall piece because it is better to me than the particular Crewdson piece it was up against. I do however think that Gregory makes some amazing photographs, his "Hover" series is quite wonderful.
    also, Tim atherton, I reaaly like the Traces series on your site, those images are great!
    -Caleb

Quote Originally Posted by steve barry View Post
    art is not subjective.
    Yes, it is. It's truth which isn't. Common mistake: lots of folks get them confused.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Daniel Geiger

Theatrical Tableaux, Jeff Wall versus Gregory Crewdson

And the winner is......(you decide

Jeff Wall, Insomnia

Gregory Crewdson, Untitled 'Beneath the Roses' (Ophelia)
    Hmmm, Wall's spirit levels seem to be off kilter. Or is the house falling apart? Architectural photography is really quite tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Geiger View Post
    Hmmm, Wall's spirit levels seem to be off kilter. Or is the house falling apart? Architectural photography is really quite tricky.
    The film plain definitely seems tilted forward, but you also have to consider that this is an entire constructed set for the only purpose of making this photograph. Operating the camera was probably the easy part. This makes me think this is exactly how he wanted it. For me, the "non-correct" perspective adds to the obvious tension of the image.

The film plain definitely seems tilted forward, but you also have to consider that this is an entire constructed set for the only purpose of making this photograph. Operating the camera was probably the easy part. This makes me think this is exactly how he wanted it. For me, the "non-correct" perspective adds to the obvious tension of the image.
    perspective is basically a social construct and is purely relative. Of course, this is also a physical construct as well....
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Between these two images I have to choose Wall. Although, I feel that Crewdson's body of work as a whole is far more interesting than Wall's work. I prefer Gregory Crewdson's lighting schemes a thousand times more. Both are very talented photographers that I enjoy but most of the time I can't shake Crewdson. As far as Ageorge's comment I almost feel the exact opposite. With Wall I am able to be initially intrigued then able to deduce a logical response to the content and walk away. Every couple of months I'll pull out the same Crewdson book and have different questions.

Confidently Agnostic!

I like Wall; it's a bit more authentic. They're both staged, but the latter is just kind of hokey looking. Yeah yeah yeah, bruised up corpse floating in water, blah blah blah. The wall shot is kind of how I envision my future life.

The Wall is funny. The Crewdson, self-conscious and arch. IMHO.